Barra From The South ?

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Uluabuster

Barra From The South ?

Post by Uluabuster » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:57 pm

G'day Folks,

Didn't know AnglingVic Forum folded some time ago and was searching for it...So it changed from FishingVic to AnglingVic back to FishingVic. :)

Anyways, some of you may know me from the previous forums and have fished with me before. So here's my 1st posting in this forum :)

I’ve read few articles on whiting popping and it seems like an interesting lure fishing proposition. Most of these articles originate from NSW and finz popping usually coincides with the estuary prawn run. I did give it a few cracks but with no fish to show. At best the whitings tailed my pencil stickbait and made some half-hearted attempts to attack it but gave up after a short while. I blamed it on the spot so shallow the whiting could spot me miles away. Also the wind was not in my favour and seriously impeded my casting distance. The lures aimed for whitings are tiny and you require finesse tackle to cast this lure far out to search for whitings, not to mention the price tag on them! That put me off entirely.

Fast forward 4 years, I got an invite from a fellow WA Fishing forum member (John) to give it another crack. According to him, there are no hard and fast rules. So I rocked up at the estuary, armed with my bream outfit and a bag full of tiny lures, I was ready to give the ‘tings a serious bash.

To my delight, we arrived at the spot with glassed out condition but John was concerned that might put the fish off. We walked about 2km into channel and started casting from the middle of the channel onto the flats. The lure of choice for me was Sugapen 70F in tiger prawn colour. I have replaced the Owner Trebles with twin assist hooks. After a few retrieve the mirror surface was shattered by a mini explosion and I was on! My heart nearly skipped a beat! After a short fight, I landed my first Yellowfin whiting on popper. I was absolutely stoked to say the least, as I managed to deflower a new lure!
IMG_20150118_063025_2.jpg
1st Fish!
IMG_20150118_063025_2.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
IMG_20150118_063030.jpg
Check out the glassed out condition
IMG_20150118_063030.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
2nd cast, pop, pop, pop and bang! Another hook-up, another fin landed. Although I had my polarized on, I couldn’t spot the fish but was merely blind casting to prospective spots. By the 5th fish, I reckoned it’s time to give other lures a chance to break their virginity.

So I went through a handful of other lures and deflowered a good number of them. By noon, the fish were fired up and it didn’t matter whether the tide was incoming or outgoing or if the wind churned up a chop. These feisty litter buggers were shouldering each other to get a piece of the hook! At one stage, one fish actually went absolutely air-borne and crashed onto the lure before hooking up. That was absolutely insane!

I had an absolute ball and between both of us we landed at least 30 fish, biggest measuring 35cm. We released all fish less than 30cm and kept a few for the table. Add in those that missed the hooks we are looking at 50 over strikes for the morning sesh.

There were several highlights of the trip :
1. John landed a mullet on his Atomic surface lure. Not foul hook but a bona fide hook-up.
IMG_20150118_071737.jpg
John's Mullet on Atomic surface lure
IMG_20150118_071737.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
2. I hooked up a whiting on micro metal squid but the fish threw the hook whilst I was unhooking it, so theres’s no photo to show. (bugger!)
IMG_3010.jpg
Micro Metal Squid
IMG_3010.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
3. I also landed another whiting on Rapala Husky Jerk minnow! Who says whiting don’t take minnow?
4. I tried micro jigging and landed one foul hooked on Saurus micro jig of 5g!! Obviously the fish made an attempt to eat the jig and got hooked in the process.
5. Last but not least, double header on my Sugapen! How good is that ?
6. Some fish made several attempts consecutively to inhale the lure before hooking up. It sounded like barra boofings, albeit on a much smaller scale hence the subject of this report.
7. Double header!
IMG_20150118_075027.jpg
Who says you can't catch whiting on minnow ?
IMG_20150118_075027.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
IMG_20150118_091016.jpg
Smith ?? surface lure
IMG_20150118_091016.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
IMG_20150118_093018.jpg
Ecogear lure victim
IMG_20150118_093018.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
IMG_20150118_095108.jpg
Micro-jagging errr I mean micro-jigging whiting.
IMG_20150118_095108.jpg (40.16 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
IMG_20150118_113545.jpg
Double Header Close Up
IMG_20150118_113545.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
These are the thoughts I’ve gathered from this short sesh:

1. Most whiting popping articles advocate working the lure consistently to mimic a fleeing prawn. They claim stopping the lure will result in the fish shying away. My experience tells me that isn’t true. In fact, I’ve caught whiting on the pause or when the lure sits completely still in the water! However, I reckon that’s to do with my assist hooks having a layer of fish skin on it with scale patterns. These fins like skin must have resembled the legs of a prawn that made them irresistible to the tingz. The twin assist hook -one being shorter than the other also ensured zero tangle and a secured hook up. It is not uncommon to have 2 hooks in a fish mouth, or one in the mouth and another outside. There’s no way the fish is getting away no matter how hard it thrashes around.
IMG_3015.jpg
Twin Assist with Fish skin. Sorry about the condition of the skins...they've been smashed big time
IMG_3015.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
2. The same articles also advocate mono over fluoro carbon leader claiming the latter will sandbag the surface lure, dampening its action. I was using 8-10lb FC and that didn’t seem to discourage the tingz.

3. I also read somewhere that the lure should track straight ‘cos that’s how shrimps behave when they skitter across the surface to escape predation. So I tried walking the dog in a zig zag fashion but didn’t seem to put the fish off either.

4. Use a rod of less than 7”. My MajorCraft AirRock Kurodai (black bream) Special is 7”3 - too long for this purpose. I find it difficult to stab the rod side ways to induce walk-the-dog action because the rod tip will be poking into the water. To compensate that, my rod was held high pointing towards the sky all the time, resulting in sore shoulder and upper back.

5. Change the trebles for singles or assist hooks. In fact the latter will fare better than the former due to the downward facing mouth position of the tingz. They are designed to suck up worms and prawns from the sand, not snatching prey from the surface.

6. They are no prawns visible in the estuary that I fish. I reckon the fish just struck the lure out of aggression and hunger. So any preys small enough to fit the gob will be food. That may explain why the Rapala Husk Jerk got nailed.

Hope you are not disappointed by the fact that this article is not about barra but yellowfin whiting. ☺

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Barra From The South ?

Post by sloth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Fantastic report mate. Really interesting and enjoyable read. Thank you for posting

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Great report and welcome to the site! Looking forward to the next installment...whatever that may be?
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ango

Post by ango » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:44 pm

From my experience in NSW I think success depends on moon phase, the new moon when prawns are running is best. I have had them climbing all over my lure on the dark moon, and then totally ignoring it a week later. Just because you cannot see prawns does not mean they are not present.
Cheers from Ango.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 pm

ango wrote:From my experience in NSW I think success depends on moon phase, the new moon when prawns are running is best. I have had them climbing all over my lure on the dark moon, and then totally ignoring it a week later. Just because you cannot see prawns does not mean they are not present.
Cheers from Ango.
Agree totally there ango

Nice read also..!

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Uluabuster

Post by Uluabuster » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Ango,

Agreed with you. That's exactly my thought when John told me that there are no prawns in the estuary. I have only seen few closer to the mouth of the estuary opening to the sea but this far inside this estuary.

The location is actually in WA. Most of the lake is shallow, filled with mud and sand. One would have thought Flathead should be in abundance around here. Strangely, NONE has been caught so far by the locals. John lived in this neighbourhood for many years and fishes the estuary very frequently. He knows it at the back of his hand. So when he says there's no prawn, I wouldn't doubt what he says.

Rod Bender,
Thanks. Next instalment will be about yellowfin tuna - trolling & casting. :)

Cheers
Uluabuster

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Uluabuster ... that's a fantastic report. Thank you for sharing your experience AND knowledge re surface poppers with all of us. All us noobs who's just starting out on lures fishing definitely is grateful for your info - myself included!!! Love your picture showing how to set up the long and short single assisted hooks .. priceless for all of us starting out on lures!!!

Definitely look forward to your next installment!

Cheers :)

PS: FV forum does have some great writers here .. the other one is Broomstick. Well Done guys!!!!!!

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Return to “Whiting Fishing”