Westernport whiting from a kayak

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Westernport whiting from a kayak

Post by 4liters » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:37 pm

alanb wrote:Banana prawns cut into pieces or whole, shell off or on
Cut up, depending on the size of the fish you're after (it probably pays to have a gummy bait out no matter where you are in WPB) then chuck the shells over the side for burley. I mash the heads against the hull of the yak to release more scent.
drew 2 wrote:
4liters wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:X2 for the applies banana prawns=fish candy
Off topic, but I've noticed food grade banana prawns never seem to get a mention in any of the reports despite it catching shitloads of fish, I wonder if there is a little deal with the tackle shops to keep it on the down low to try and keep people buying their bait from them.

Go back through cheater's reports and have a read,he's been using them for years.I think he know's a bit about fishing westernport too.
Yeah, it might have been his reports that got me onto them in the first place but then I moved to other stuff from the fish shop for a while before realising that the prawns got me more fish than food grade squid, silver whiting or sardines. So now I'm firmly back on the prawn bandwagon.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Everything in westernport loves prawns including toadies, leatherjackets and grass whiting!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 pm

drew 2 wrote:Go back through cheater's reports and have a read,he's been using them for years.I think he know's a bit about fishing westernport too.

Bloody cheater - not as silly as he looks you know --

I use the good old banana prawn for most things in W/P for a good reason everything takes it

it's my go to bait for Whiting just head ,tail and shell the prawn then cut the meat into 2 fillets then cut each fillet into 4 or 5 pieces

thats 8 - 10 baits from each prawn put then on a no 6 owner circle and you can't go wrong

by the way I use a simple 2 hook paternoster rig
make sure you can change your droppers and hooks quickly because were there are whiting there are also Leather Jackets
which not only steel bait but quite often hooks as well

something with whiting if they are not biting don't be scared to move to the next sand patch and keep moving untill you find some
get some burley going to keep them interested
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 pm

what sort of kayak do you fish from alanb and have you been using it for long
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:15 pm

How far off the bottom would you say your top hook would be when fishing for whiting? Just wondering how long I should make my rigs.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:33 pm

4liters wrote:How far off the bottom would you say your top hook would be when fishing for whiting? Just wondering how long I should make my rigs.

I do a very simple rig - the main piece at the bottom of my rig I tie a surgeons loop ( so I can change sinker weights quickly )

up from the bottom about 25 - 30 cm I tie another surgeons loop and then another 30 or so cm up I tie the third surgeons loop

then for the hooks I snell a no 6 owner mitu circle to a short piece of leader and tie a surgeons loop on the end of this leader
quite short around 75 mm long

them I just slide the leader loops over the the loops in the main rig and put the hook through the loop to lock them in place

very quick and simple - the short hook leaders can be replaced quickly if a LJ or toad takes a hook
My kayak PBs

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Cheers!

alanb

Post by alanb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:31 am

cheaterparts wrote:what sort of kayak do you fish from alanb and have you been using it for long
currently using an Aqua Yak ranger and have been using for 18 mths, fished in the Mt Martha comp last week end spoke to you on the shore line about your light set up. Thanks for the info in your other post much appreciated.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”