Whiting Snatcher's & Pipi's?

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
BigBad64

Whiting Snatcher's & Pipi's?

Post by BigBad64 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi all,
thought I'd try my luck with a Whiting Snatcher at Mt. Martha rocks this morning and kept losing bait to whatever these are - leatherjackets?
MMR.jpg
MMR.jpg (155.23 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
For bait on the Whiting Snatcher I was using pipis, but to be honest this was only the 2nd time I've ever used pipi's and I basically had NFI how to put them on the KL circle hook properly and I'm pretty sure I was doing a crap job.

Are you supposed to use the whole pipi? They seemed way too big, and pretty soft - tried bait buddy etc but very finicky and not very successful on those small KL circle hooks. I think the leatherjackets or whatever they were were laughing at how easy it was to get the bait off within about 10 seconds of it hitting the water.

Doesn't seem to be any Youtubes of someone baiting a Whiting Snatcher (or many Youtubes of someone baiting hooks with pipis full stop), so can someone give me some tips?

(P.S. I also got snagged when winding in a Snapper Snatcher on my other rod at the end of the session and had to cut it off - another $17 in the drink. Is getting snagged off the rocks in front of Hearn Rd very common - or was I just s%#t out of luck?)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Whiting Snatcher's & Pipi's?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Generally I cut the pippi in half. Where the foot muscle is the toughest part of the pippi. Sometimes letting them dry out a little bit works. Fresh pippies are tougher.

Fishing with whiting whackers off the rocks means a high likely hood of getting snagged. If you cast past the rocks, when you wind it in, you have to do it fairly fast.

I'll see if I can find Beno's bit on whiting search you tube for Beno's Fishing Adventures

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:34 pm

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Don't waste your hard earned cash on those. Buy some fluro carbon leader, a packet of small swivels, some glow beeds and circle hooks and practice tying your own. I generally don't bother with the tinsel but you can get that from $2 shops or rejects shops quit cheaply.

Nothing better than catching fish on your own rigs. As far a keeping bait on the hook maybe try some bait tape or bait wire bcf stock this.

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Pipis are always hard to rig. If you will be using the KLs try the smaller pipis. I usually thread them a few times and try and have the gut (black part) on the tip.
I have been using the whiting snatchers for a little while now and have caught some fish. Maybe when KGW are around you will have more luck.
However, as KeenAds said, its better to use your own rigs (I am just too lazy...)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Yep there leather jackets. Pest of a fish at small sizes

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. Was there meant to be a bit in that video showing how to bait up?

Seems like most of the videos I find relate to boat fishing - is it fair to say that being land based and having to cast out means you have to tie your bait on better so it hangs on for the ride?

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 pm

BigBad64 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Was there meant to be a bit in that video showing how to bait up?

Seems like most of the videos I find relate to boat fishing - is it fair to say that being land based and having to cast out means you have to tie your bait on better so it hangs on for the ride?
Another thing you could do is add a bit of squid on the hook as well. Experiment with where you put the squid piece

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:36 pm

I have used these for pipi in the past
AF615281-6A9F-4F68-A9A4-C52E4116AF12.png
Tie a knot at the start of the sock, feed your pipi through the plastic tube then tie another knot at the other end of it. Keep as minimal slack in between the knots as you can so the pipi slightly bulges through the holes.
Then put the little sock pouch you made on the hook and it stays on well. The pipi doesn’t present as naturally as without the sock but it lasts way longer

Return to “Whiting Fishing”