Post by bowl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Screenshot_20180102-132616.png

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Whiting Hooks

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Broomstick wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:Surface lures for whiting such as the sugar pen need to be fished with mono, allowing the lure to float.
Apparently flouro sinks and causes the lure to swim differently.
People actually use surface lures for whiting around ppb and wpb? I thought that was more a sand whiting type thing in the northern states
I've always used fluro when surface fishing, I don't really think it makes a difference. Especially if you're using light leaders (eg: 4-6lb). I've fished sugapens with fluoro up to 12lb with no issue. I've never heard of people catching KG's on surface though, it would so good if they were as voracious as the northern species.
Yeah i was going to say, if people had caught KG on surface I wanted to know when and where!!!

Also, while I'm replying to you.. I love your blogs and read one from a few weeks ago.. is one of your fellow fisher friends Andy otten? Or just a damn exact look-alike? Lol

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm

bowl wrote:
Screenshot_20180102-132616.png
I have the demons in an 8/0. Not a bad snapper hook.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
smokin_reels wrote:Surface lures for whiting such as the sugar pen need to be fished with mono, allowing the lure to float.
People actually use surface lures for whiting around ppb and wpb? I thought that was more a sand whiting type thing in the northern states
I've always used fluro when surface fishing, I don't really think it makes a difference. Especially if you're using light leaders (eg: 4-6lb). I've fished sugapens with fluoro up to 12lb with no issue. I've never heard of people catching KG's on surface though, it would so good if they were as voracious as the northern species.
Yeah i was going to say, if people had caught KG on surface I wanted to know when and where!!!

Also, while I'm replying to you.. I love your blogs and read one from a few weeks ago.. is one of your fellow fisher friends Andy otten? Or just a damn exact look-alike? Lol
Haha he is indeed! We've been mates since we were little tackers...I'm surprised you recognised him, he doesn't get much exposure in Melbourne. Are you a footy fan?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Broomstick wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

Haha he is indeed! We've been mates since we were little tackers...I'm surprised you recognised him, he doesn't get much exposure in Melbourne. Are you a footy fan?
I'm mega saints fan, but im addicted to supercoach too and he was one of the best selections last year. Lol I seen the pic and I was scratching my head for a couple minutes thinking HOW do I know that guy!?
Haha good stuff.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 pm

So went for a KGW fish yesterday off sorrento. I used Gama octopus circles and my brother used Gama octopus hooks. He smashed me. The whiting were just nipping and he could strike to hook them. I couldn't loaded up using the circles because they weren't taking the baits all that hard.

Anth
Attachments
gamasz4_480x480.jpg
gamasz4_480x480.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
10065400.jpg
10065400.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm

So beak hooks won over circles?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Ive got a packet of Black Magic DX hooks size 1/0 to give a go as well as the kl 1/0 will do a hook off like sinsemilla. The DX were great for snapper very sharp.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 am

Had another good day out yesterday on using the shiners. No lost fish this time.

Had one rod out with a tradition long shank but could not get a bite on it.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Been using kl1 n owner shiners , hook rate is good ...but takes a bit of fun out of kgw whiting fishing ,when the kgw hook themselves in the rod holders...
Only on really calm days need to slowly move that bait.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”