How I catch KGWhiting at St Leonards

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
denis barden

Re: How I catch KGWhiting at St Leonards

Post by denis barden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:09 am

Mussles were the bait last year for big Whiting-I would shell them and heavyly salt them and put them in my bait freezer -as they dont freeze-this year squid is best.
A while ago I was fishing with a 1 ounce running sinker and that worked ok-with a 1200mm 10kg leader for some reasons i would get more bottom snags this way.Thats why i went to a 3 way swivel
Its easyier for me to use a loop for a sinker and just slip the loop thru the sinker eye making it easy to partly derig for transport.
2 years ago I was using Gloomis roods 1 and 2 piece ones and was catching good whiting .Then a noticed an old Greek guy using a $20 rod -he was sold on the long nibble tip rods at 8ft 6inch,I ve got 2 of these and they work a treat especially the one that I broke the tip off and reglued it back on ,making it about 3inch shorter,this rod catches most of the fish.Yes a $60 rod from Hooked on at Hoppers outfishes a $300-$400 G Loomins.
I use only Mono 8lb Green Maxima for the main line and Mono Green Maxima 10gk for leader-As there are a lot of Puffers with sharp teeth and large Banjos.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 am

Bloody good info shared good on you Dennis

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm

denis barden wrote:Mussles were the bait last year for big Whiting-I would shell them and heavyly salt them and put them in my bait freezer -as they dont freeze-this year squid is best.
A while ago I was fishing with a 1 ounce running sinker and that worked ok-with a 1200mm 10kg leader for some reasons i would get more bottom snags this way.Thats why i went to a 3 way swivel
Its easyier for me to use a loop for a sinker and just slip the loop thru the sinker eye making it easy to partly derig for transport.
2 years ago I was using Gloomis roods 1 and 2 piece ones and was catching good whiting .Then a noticed an old Greek guy using a $20 rod -he was sold on the long nibble tip rods at 8ft 6inch,I ve got 2 of these and they work a treat especially the one that I broke the tip off and reglued it back on ,making it about 3inch shorter,this rod catches most of the fish.Yes a $60 rod from Hooked on at Hoppers outfishes a $300-$400 G Loomins.
I use only Mono 8lb Green Maxima for the main line and Mono Green Maxima 10gk for leader-As there are a lot of Puffers with sharp teeth and large Banjos.
:thumbsup:

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks for the additional info, Denis.
I notice you have no need/use for the additional bling like red hooks, tubing or beads!!

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:39 pm

I have never caught whiting although I have bought the black magic whiting snatcher and baited the hooks with squid. I catch everything else though like flathead, puffer, goatfish, pinkies...except whiting. I assumed that I am never in the right spot. I have also burleyed with some tuna oil and prawn type berley. Do you just let the rig off the side and wait after burleying or do you cast around and retrieve?

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Denis, Like the loop as well, generally about 25cm leaving a short length maybe 10 cm, to end of main line.Then the tiniest swivel I can find attached to the leader and hook of choice. This limits the hardware but to each his own, you certainly put the time in and deserve the rewards.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:56 pm

nice Denis love the nibble tip rods would be interesting how many other guys take the advantage using them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Great rods when targeting kgw. Have one myself :thumbsup:

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm

denis barden wrote: Yes a $60 rod from Hooked on at Hoppers outfishes a $300-$400 G Loomins.

Last time I talked to them, KGW's do not know and do not care how much my rods cost :super:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:31 pm

:rofl:

Return to “Whiting Fishing”