9th & 12th. Smacking the Whiting

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

9th & 12th. Smacking the Whiting

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:19 am

Well, the Whiting certainly haven't been going to waste... already finished all ive kept so far and man do they taste amazing.

9th:
Out on Andrews boat on the Sunday. Plans changed due to conditIons and looked the goods on the Whiting again. Headed down the mid spit channel and showed him a couple of spots etc.. turned out to be another ripper session.
With about 40 minutes of ebb tide left, we parked on a mark that did alright last session. 1 Salmon.. no Whiting. However, a rod with a Pilchard fillet & pippi on it buckled and screamed, Then cruised to the boat. I was thinking "thats a Snapper mate", ... violent pulsing head shakes started.. and a few more great runs. Thats no Red. Definitely a really nice sized Gummy Shark, undoubtedly. Back and forth to the boat, dogging it out ( this is on a little whiting rod might i add ), Andrew clicked his drag up a bit too many notches, but tbh... with such little line on that spool there was no other choice. Just as it began to come up, it turned and went to run and the leader snapped. Very shattering moment. Although we didn't see it, i'm 90% certain what it was and it wasn't a little fella either. Got a couple Whiting during the slack as we waited for the tide to turn so we could motor on to another couple spots of mine that have been going off tits.
The run in now, tried a new mark in the same area.. just flathead. Sometimes it really pays to make that short 50m move. I normally move every 10 minutes about 50-100m until i find them schooled up, just what works for me. And it certainly worked again this time. Fishing spot X now :rofl: and fish after fish after fish. Some nice ones too. Average size about 35, couple bigger, couple smaller. We ended up sitting there for a couple hours just smashing them. Kept 38, dropped a few and released some too. Made note how aggressive they were in that first 2 hours of tide flow, and became finicky as we pushed into the middle of the tide. With our efforts being more than satisfactory, we headed to Long Reef for the last 2 hours of flood tide to try snag a Snapper although the odds against us. Eagle Rays, PJ Sharks, Banjo's... peckers... but those peckers did turn out to be Whiting. Man i can't escape these things. Andrews squid bait getting nibbled, my instant thought were Whiting. Dropped down a paternosta rig with a massive pippi and squid strip, Bam. 45cm. Nice fish. All in all a great day, and really enjoyed being out on someone elses boat for the first time in a little, and giving some tips etc.. If anyone's interested in organising a trip out, i'm happy to. Would love to be able to do Guides etc one day. Just give me a message on here.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-FIpExz8OTFeVP9JG.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-QDLiwfHv8ty1f.jpg
12th:
Back on my boat yesterday with my mate Josh (the mullet man). Plan was to smash the Whiting and then the Gummies and well.. we sort of did just that.
Had to be an early one as i had work in the afternoon. Departed Yaringa at 5:30am. Headed down the eastern channel again and man was it a strong tide. Not my favourite to fish Whiting with light gear, became a bit of a nightmare. No luck at the first 3 areas... not a good start. Found an area where the tide wasn't as strong and first drop, 6 Whiting. Then as fast as they came they disappeared and it was all because of the bloody Squid. Thanks a lot.
We waited 5-10 minutes for them to come back but they didn't. Moved again, found a couple fish, but had to move again. I think we moved about 7 times in the area just to get our 22. Was hard going but still a good feed, a good bit of fun and enjoyable. We headed to Long reef to get some Yakkas in the slack water. Got a couple, a salmon & a big Whiting at 46cm, very fat this one. yew. Off to the Gummy hole now. First 30 Minutes 3 gummies with this being the best of them. Josh very happy, over 1m and guestimate roughly 4-5kg :a_goodjob:
Back in with hours before i had to be at work, not complaining.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-wA1ibhxMLMuFa9s9.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-6yDRzBJ18H.jpg

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: 9th & 12th. Smacking the Whiting

Post by purple5ive » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:37 am

Man thats just nutzzzz..
and i reckon you will do well on the guiding man, all the best with it all, you seem to have the skillz down pat already.
and if your up for a challenge, then let me know. whiting on lures :-D
cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am

Mate you’re just unstoppable these days!!!
Top report and pics! :thumbsup: :a_goodjob:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am

That mullet its more impressive than the gummy.
Are you using burley for the whiting?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:52 am

Great read you certainly are on the money, I am a bit worried of your mates mullet though

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:11 am

Nice catch and even nicer mullet

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 pm

And here I am looking at the cleaning table straining my eyes to find the mullet !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:12 pm

purple5ive wrote:Man thats just nutzzzz..
and i reckon you will do well on the guiding man, all the best with it all, you seem to have the skillz down pat already.
and if your up for a challenge, then let me know. whiting on lures :-D
cheers
Hopefully one day mate, cheers!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Lightningx wrote:Mate you’re just unstoppable these days!!!
Top report and pics! :thumbsup: :a_goodjob:
Im enjoying my fishing thats for sure mate, cheers ill keep them coming!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Mattblack wrote:That mullet its more impressive than the gummy.
Are you using burley for the whiting?
This is like the 6th time ive heard this in the last 2 days hahahaha. And yes mate, 100% burley. Sure you'll catch whiting without it but what burley does is holds the school at your boat. I keep giving the pot a shake every 5 minutes and throwing smashed up pippi shells and tiny bits of pillies over the side whilst the bite is going too. Seems to draw even more fish in.
Moving every 10 minutes has been the 1percenter this season for me,

Return to “Whiting Fishing”