Drifting for Whiting

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Drifting for Whiting

Post by yepi'mon » Mon May 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Specifically talking about WPB but would also apply elsewhere....

Does anyone drift for whiting on the basis that once you find them you will anchor up?

Lately we have been catching 4-10 in our sessions along the spit and looking at ways we can improve our catch tally. Next time I'm out I will try and move more often, after 5-10 minutes (if no bites) and only 30-50m (instead of km's) as I think this is where we are going wrong........

but it got me thinking - if the idea of moving so frequently is to find the fish.... then wouldn't it be more efficient to drift? Makes sense to me.... but I've just never heard of anyone doing it.

Cheers

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Drifting for Whiting

Post by rb85 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm

I don’t fish the spit so can’t comment on that area.
A few reasons why I wouldn’t is due to where I fish between sand and weed/reef beds I would lose a lot of rigs. The other reason is the way the current moves my drift speed would be too fast except on the hour around the tide change.

Anyway kill a few hours give it a go and see if it works.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Arent whiting more of an ambush predator ie sit back in the weeds in a school and wait for a stable smell/taste to set them off in a direction or spot

So if you drift past them even at 2 knots not enough time for them to decide to feed and start biting

Maybe also why you can have a hot bite in a metre area and no hits anywhere else
Just my thoughts
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 06, 2019 4:52 pm

I actually found one of my best kgw marks while I was drifting with a mate one day :)

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon May 06, 2019 5:02 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm
I don’t fish the spit so can’t comment on that area.
A few reasons why I wouldn’t is due to where I fish between sand and weed/reef beds I would lose a lot of rigs. The other reason is the way the current moves my drift speed would be too fast except on the hour around the tide change.

Anyway kill a few hours give it a go and see if it works.
Yep one of the areas I fish down near Phillip Island I wouldn't even try due to snags....

It wasn't something I'd considered although we don't seem to snag a lot when fishing around the spit.

I'll give it a go as the tide starts to slow - theres also some areas up the top of the bay where the tide is a bit slower as well.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”