Pirtek 2015 Plans

TrevKing

Re: Pirtek 2015 Plans

Post by TrevKing » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:51 pm

sloth wrote:Really bad luck on the yellowbelly! That's got to sting :(
Yeah, I underestimated how hard it would be to line up a clear photo in the kayak with a sh*t iphone 4 camera and a yellowbelly thats sliding all over the place...the only way I could've gotten a really clear photo would be to paddle to shore and sit it on the bank. But I'd probably rather see it swim off like it did than paddle to shore only for it to die...(unless it's the biggest for the junior section or the mystery length :shocker: )
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 am

It is hard enough to take the pic on land Trevking, let alone on a yak! It would be a lot easier if the mat had some sort of lip at the '0' mark. My fish was flapping around in the dirt, washed off some of it but still ended up with a crap looking pic!

I ended up at the Nine Mile Creek at Wunghnu. Arrived at 730am. To be honest, if it wasn't comp day I likely would not have went fishing! Forecast winds changing from ENE to NE, barometric pressure dropping...not my favourite conditions! It was at least 3 hours before I had any action...a largish carp which I couldn't stop and I 'pulled' the hook. But soon after I scored a 60 cm model which was the best for the day. Another 4 smallish models followed during the day. I lost several small carp as well. The last carp (small) was lost 1 minute before the comp finished at 6pm.

All carp were caught on shrimp. I had difficulty in getting shrimp as well! I also used corn for bait but only had a few bites on it. A forum member suggested soaking the corn in red food dye...so I went one better, 'Bombers' corn! The fish didn't like it! The reasoning behind dying the corn red is that carp may be suspect of yellow corn. My reasoning behind the black corn is that it may stand out better!

Two things were reinforced on the day. First of all, even if you don't like the weather, it can still be worth going out. You just have to put the time in. Secondly, I have started to notice the following. When using shrimp for bait, I always use the biggest shrimp in the net. This results in a bait that is easily picked off by smaller mouthed fish. In the future, unless I am chasing cod, a bunch of medium size shrimp will be used!
cheers
Jim
Attachments
sunrise s.jpg
sunrise s.jpg (177.45 KiB) Viewed 914 times
setup s.jpg
setup s.jpg (218.42 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Essendon corn s.jpg
Essendon corn s.jpg (102.32 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Carp 60cm s.jpg
Carp 60cm s.jpg (212.54 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 am

my fish slid past 0cm mark. Will it still count or be disqualified?
Attachments
IMAG2242.jpg

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Not sure but I would think not count. As the mat does not have a lip it is difficult.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Rod bender I seen the bomber corn on carp busters ;)!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:51 pm

I've never had a problem with natural coloured corn does changing the colour seriously help?

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:03 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Rod bender I seen the bomber corn on carp busters ;)!
It is amazing how passionate about chasing/killing carp they are! One of the rare times I posted on there but will post more. Can't bring myself to tell them that I would rather be chasing yellas /cod / redfin or trout on lures or bait!
BIG GAV wrote:I've never had a problem with natural coloured corn does changing the colour seriously help?
I do not use corn that much at all. When I have it has been normal color but I soak it in maple syrup...picked up this hint from a course fishing dvd. Am happy to try anything. A member suggested using red food dye. In some heavily fished suburban areas the old carp may associate the yellow corn with a sting! So the red is different. I did black as well for visibility (for the fish) in murky water and at night. Will it make a difference, I wouldn't know. But am willing to try it at times. I grow corn here at home so when it runs out in a few weeks...no more corn til next year!
cheers
Jim

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Yeah they love culling good cause I reckon and since sparky posted it on the page it's gone viral I don't have fab tho I Sussed the page on a mates account

I've since been receiving emails all day for fab folk wishing to register

Return to “Fishing Competitions”