Next years species comp

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Next years species comp

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:47 pm

DougieK wrote:

I've read all this and will think about it this week. Not sure much needs to change at all. I like the idea of small teams and I like the idea of a couple of new species.
Sounds good doug, look forward to actually competing in this years competition.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:26 pm

I’m fairly new to the forum and from what I can see the Species Comp does not attract the interest of the majority of the forums members.

The site statistics paint an interesting picture.
Totals
Total posts 199873
Total topics 15152
Total Announcements: 0
Total Stickies: 73
Total Attachments: 15884
Topics per user: 1
Posts per user: 15
Posts per topic: 13

Although the forum membership is huge the majority of posting is made by only a relatively small numbers of members.

Personally, I am fine with the format of the competition. It is what it is and fulfils its original intention which is to encourage anglers to expand their boundaries and skill levels.

This in itself may be a deterrent to many on these forums. Some fish only salt, others only fresh. Some have easy access to productive fishing spots, others don’t. All or any of these factors most likely deter folks from participating.

It may be worthwhile considering running the comp in two sections, salt and fresh. It may attract more participants.
As a further incentive to encourage more anticipants to actively use the forums it may be worthwhile to run a “Fish Of The Year” competition say for the best fish in a given range of species. The same species as listed in the current Species Comp would be a good starting point. No need for prizes but kudos will go to the winners.

Whatever is decided I will go along with.
:)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Whiskers wrote:I’m fairly new to the forum and from what I can see the Species Comp does not attract the interest of the majority of the forums members.

Totals
Total posts 199873
Total topics 15152

Although the forum membership is huge the majority of posting is made by only a relatively small numbers of members.

Personally, I am fine with the format of the competition. It is what it is and fulfils its original intention which is to encourage anglers to expand their boundaries and skill levels.

This in itself may be a deterrent to many on these forums. Some fish only salt, others only fresh. Some have easy access to productive fishing spots, others don’t. All or any of these factors most likely deter folks from participating.

It may be worthwhile considering running the comp in two sections, salt and fresh. It may attract more participants.
As a further incentive to encourage more anticipants to actively use the forums it may be worthwhile to run a “Fish Of The Year” competition say for the best fish in a given range of species. The same species as listed in the current Species Comp would be a good starting point. No need for prizes but kudos will go to the winners.

This is actually two arguments.

Firstly, regarding the competition, Ducky and myself (and a bunch of other input) designed this to be a test of the best all round angler. You cannot win this contest with a lucky fish, or even two or three lucky fish. It requires a pretty constant effort throughout the entire year and an incredibly diverse skill set. The same argument applies for salt vs fresh. A salt only comp favours saltwater anglers and fresh water comp caters to the inland crew. Running them individually is not a test of the all round angler. The comp is more about bragging rights than it is about anything else. The small prize pool will never, ever cover the cost of having a crack and 20% of it gets donated to the maintenance of the forum. Pride and bragging rights are what is really on the line here, plus you'll find reading the old threads there is an incredible amount of good info to be gained, and you can use the results to highlight exceptionally good advice from the right people.

The second point is about membership and posts. If you've been around a while, you'll understand that about 100 people actually contribute to this forum. The reason there is 13,000 members is people are farming for information. Out of the 100 people that might make a new thread in a month, maybe 20 are actually contributing new information, the rest regurgitating the same question that could just as easily be answered using the search function or google. The rest of the posts are just talking rubbish (which there is nothing wrong with!). The 13000 number is an unrealistic figure of who you are actually engaging with when you make a post. There are some incredibly knowledgable, experienced and helpful people on here who are happy to share if you just ask nicely, but the vast, vast majority of members will simply read and never contribute. Sounds like i'm a bit of a downer, but the numbers don't lie.

This year I think i'm going to add Yellowtail Kingfish and gummy sharks to the list, with only the cm over the legal limit counting towards totals. Gummies to be measured gills to tail fork and yellowtail nose to tail.

I think i'll leave entry to individuals. Who you choose to fish with is up to you. I don't really see where the benefit in entering a team is other than trying to manipulate the rules to your advantage.

I like the idea of a 'fish of the comp' as voted on by the participants, with a rule stating you can't vote for your own fish.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Cheers Dougie.

Just chucking a few ideas in the pot!
:water:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 pm

fish of this years comp I reckon is abzz brown trout. 71cm worth of first ever brown is ridiculous.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:27 pm

ducky wrote:fish of this years comp I reckon is abzz brown trout. 71cm worth of first ever brown is ridiculous.
Can't argue with that the guy is a fish magnet.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:24 pm

ducky wrote:fish of this years comp I reckon is abzz brown trout. 71cm worth of first ever brown is ridiculous.
I was thinking your yellowbelly, that thing was a beast
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 pm

It was a good fish but it's nothing compared to that trout.

abzz

Post by abzz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Cheers ducky!
Was a fluke I reckon.. Tell ya what though, hats off to you and a few others who were able to tick most of the species off the list. I don't know how you can go from catching a mulloway to an eel WFT lol
And most are solid specimen too!

spikestar
Has liked: 1 time

Post by spikestar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:51 pm

DougieK wrote:
Whiskers wrote:I’m fairly new to the forum and from what I can see the Species Comp does not attract the interest of the majority of the forums members.

Totals
Total posts 199873
Total topics 15152

This is actually two arguments.

Firstly, regarding the competition, Ducky and myself (and a bunch of other input) designed this to be a test of the best all round angler. You cannot win this contest with a lucky fish, or even two or three lucky fish. It requires a pretty constant effort throughout the entire year and an incredibly diverse skill set. The same argument applies for salt vs fresh. A salt only comp favours saltwater anglers and fresh water comp caters to the inland crew. Running them individually is not a test of the all round angler. The comp is more about bragging rights than it is about anything else. The small prize pool will never, ever cover the cost of having a crack and 20% of it gets donated to the maintenance of the forum. Pride and bragging rights are what is really on the line here, plus you'll find reading the old threads there is an incredible amount of good info to be gained, and you can use the results to highlight exceptionally good advice from the right people.

The second point is about membership and posts. If you've been around a while, you'll understand that about 100 people actually contribute to this forum. The reason there is 13,000 members is people are farming for information. Out of the 100 people that might make a new thread in a month, maybe 20 are actually contributing new information, the rest regurgitating the same question that could just as easily be answered using the search function or google. The rest of the posts are just talking rubbish (which there is nothing wrong with!). The 13000 number is an unrealistic figure of who you are actually engaging with when you make a post. There are some incredibly knowledgable, experienced and helpful people on here who are happy to share if you just ask nicely, but the vast, vast majority of members will simply read and never contribute. Sounds like i'm a bit of a downer, but the numbers don't lie.

This year I think i'm going to add Yellowtail Kingfish and gummy sharks to the list, with only the cm over the legal limit counting towards totals. Gummies to be measured gills to tail fork and yellowtail nose to tail.

I think i'll leave entry to individuals. Who you choose to fish with is up to you. I don't really see where the benefit in entering a team is other than trying to manipulate the rules to your advantage.

I like the idea of a 'fish of the comp' as voted on by the participants, with a rule stating you can't vote for your own fish.

Highlighted should apply to every fish then.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”