Next years species comp

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Next years species comp

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 pm

If ur gonna make it only legal length on kingies why not all species?
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:29 pm

BIG GAV wrote:If ur gonna make it only legal length on kingies why not all species?
I believe the excess of legal length only for kingies is to equal the playing field if you did it for all species kingies would still be a relatively high scoring fish and that as a result benefits those who have the means to target them easily.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Hit it on the head maz. Gav all species have to be legal length to be entered. But was suggesting kingies only measured in excess of legal length to even the playing field

Gummys are a tough one only because so many big ones are released and having tangled with some 15kg fish I woukdnt want to try and get one on the mat.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:43 pm

mr plow wrote:how are kingys any differnet to murry cod. just as much time effort and research goes into catching 1 vs the other and could easy drive just as far to spend the time to target lb or boat wise
I was thinking the same thing

I cant recall many people catching big cod this year except for big gavs mate who got that cracker from eldion.

a meter cod takes just as much skill as a kingy imo

Both arnt easy to catch

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:45 am

Ive got a mate who although being a top bloke isnt exactly a gun fisherman who catches cod pretty consistently from the yarra (biggest being 96cm and average being approx 65cm)
Think its just a matter of appraching it smartly with a set plan unlike with a species like kings who arent territorial and is much more luck of the draw whether theyre in a spot or not.
In saying that i entered this year's comp and have caught a fair few fish that i couldve entered but havent for no other reason than forgetfullness so hopefully in a teams setting it will force me to be a bit more thoughtful in that sense hahaha
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:40 am

mazman wrote:Honestly I think the inclusion of roach and blackfish is a good way to get people trying new things and can test your ability as an angler a bit, the optional team entry is good and I'm all for kingies only being counted for above the legal length, was just talking to basti about their inclusion in the comp yesterday
+1 for keeping roach and blackfish in. Not that I'm likely to get a roach any time soon, mind you. It doesn't penalise anyone if it is kept in, and with a wider variety of species in, it makes for multiple pathways to high scores (particularly if a % above legal minimum is used as a scoring basis).

Also +1 for the optional teams - I'm unlikely to join one (not fair on the my poor team member) but I've got no problems with the concept provided there can still be solo entries.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu May 26, 2016 2:45 am

Hey guys.

Charities to Dougie a bit since this thread came up. He is looking to remove some of the more undesirable fish from the comp. I think it makes perfect sense. The list in its current form was designed to give both fresh and saltwater anglers the best shot at winning as the average length evened out across both platforms. Seeing as this years comp winners are based off the overall length it's not required to be like that anymore.

Have been through the last couple of years of entries.

In total there have been

3 eel
3 roach
4 Ep, 3 bass (same 2 anglers each year)
2 blackfish
1 cod

Given that eel is probably the most accessible fish in the comp apart from carp and can easily give 60cm or so to the total I don't think anglers want to chase them at all. Hell I've been bitten off twice by the little suckers Bankside this last week because I've refused to bring a net. But that's another story.

Similar story with the roach. Roach are **** but they were making up the numbers. I think these can safely go?

Blackfish?? Open for opinions on this one. Popularity suggests no one really wants to chase them? But I don't want to cut the list too severely either. It's a unique challenge chasing blackies

There haven't been too many bass and Ep caught. Those that have been entered have been by the same 2 anglers. However I suggest we don't remove them. We could combine them kind of like the "fkn breddie" comp. I like the idea of needing to catch one of each them though.

Despite there only being 1 entered fish in the past 2 comps Cod have to remain I think. However I think the lack of entries is not due to the lack of people catching them. More to do with the legal size to keep the fish. The current comp rules are that the fish has to be in legal size and within the particular open season for the fish if one applies. I'm not sure about relaxing the entries within closed season but it could be done? but how about relaxing the min size rules to make the comp more accessable. I know basti missed entering a cod this year by 1cm on the mat. Either way you need to measure your fish. What's wrong with taking a photo of it prior to release?

All in all I wouldn't mind trying to appeal to a greater amount of people? Is the current list of 20 species too overwhelming? Do you want to stick to 20 but we delete some unpopular fish and add a few more accessible salt targets?

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu May 26, 2016 5:31 am

Nothing wrong with taking a pic of a cod before release if you can do it reasonably quick. You are asked to report tagged fish and I myself found it takes longer to record a tag number than it does to take a photo, it won't do the cod any harm to be out of the water a second longer as long as it's done carefully and again quickly, just my 2 cents worth, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu May 26, 2016 10:10 am

personally I like the idea of being challenged to catch some of the mentioned species and think that the current 20 (with the possible addition of partial length kingfish) are a really well rounded test of an angler.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 26, 2016 11:22 am

not to break any rules or anything.
but maybe just for gummies, cod and kings , let the anglers enter whatever size they catch and cap it at legal length
that way people will be motivated to have a crack at them, and also tick it off the list.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”