Tea Tree 2017

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Tea Tree 2017

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm

rb85 wrote:It's strange that as a sport recreational fishing is growing yet the club that runs one of Melbourne's oldest competitions numbers are dwindling.
Mmm not really,a lot of people r on forums, online ect n so much in actuall fishing clubs

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:40 pm

bowl wrote:
rb85 wrote:It's strange that as a sport recreational fishing is growing yet the club that runs one of Melbourne's oldest competitions numbers are dwindling.
Mmm not really,a lot of people r on forums, online ect n so much in actuall fishing clubs
A good fishing club has more to offer than being online.

bowl

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 pm

rb85 wrote:
bowl wrote:
A good fishing club has more to offer than being online.
Yeah but online easier n less time consuming....

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Depends what your looking for if I want to have a beer at home or on my breaks at work talk fishing ill look at this here. If I want to associate with other anglers in my local area share info, have a social beer and enjoy club comps and functions making new friends I will involve myself in a club.

Theres questions from newbies here such as catching bait, burley and rigs for gummies etc that a local angling club would be of more benefit than a forum.

Can see the benefits of both though.

bowl

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:53 pm

rb85 wrote:Depends what your looking for if I want to have a beer at home or on my breaks at work talk fishing ill look at this here. If I want to associate with other anglers in my local area share info, have a social beer and enjoy club comps and functions making new friends I will involve myself in a club.

Theres questions from newbies here such as catching bait, burley and rigs for gummies etc that a local angling club would be of more benefit than a forum.

Drinking culturE of fishing clubs is prob why I would not bother with them.

Having young kids prob the other.

Def benefits to both...

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:59 pm

bowl wrote:
rb85 wrote:Depends what your looking for if I want to have a beer at home or on my breaks at work talk fishing ill look at this here. If I want to associate with other anglers in my local area share info, have a social beer and enjoy club comps and functions making new friends I will involve myself in a club.

Drinking culturE of fishing clubs is prob why I would not bother with them.

Having young kids prob the other.

Def benefits to both...
Not a fan of heavy drinking in clubs myself bowl. So I agree with you there.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 pm

rb85 wrote:A good fishing club has more to offer than being online.
you maybe right but I dont know - these days with all the info on the net between forums , Facebook . whatsapp , youtube and others I would say most get info and arrange trips with there mates - once the realm of clubs

so what does a good club have to offer this days
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
rb85 wrote:A good fishing club has more to offer than being online.
you maybe right but I dont know - these days with all the info on the net between forums , Facebook . whatsapp , youtube and others I would say most get info and arrange trips with there mates - once the realm of clubs

so what does a good club have to offer this days
Fishing talks, club competitions facilities close to ramps in some cases private boat ramps and facilities, year round discounts from sponsors. Normally anglers with experience in local areas.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 pm

rb85 wrote:Fishing talks, club competitions facilities close to ramps in some cases private boat ramps and facilities, year round discounts from sponsors. Normally anglers with experience in local areas.
I know I look at things through my fishing prospectives - fishing talks are probably good I know I have been to a few over the years and sometimes there is info worth listening to -- Club competitions while may look good very few people I know go in for any comps a few do the Vic Bream comps and they are not club controlled - just as the Aust day off shore kayak comp here in Vic has nothing to do with any club

with the fishing I do finding clubs with experience anglers would be few a far between yet finding experience and info is quite offen no more the a PM away - ie we fished in an off shore comp at Coffs Harbour only a week and a half ago 1 PM to a top kayak fisho in Coffs also doing the event and we had GPS marks for the local reefs where they had been getting bait - the best way to launch through the surf other info and we hadn't even seen the beach at that stage or left home

as for local experienced guys ( and remember I kayak fish ) I could probably introduce you to any of note in the area WP or PPB and I probably know all the guys in Vic that fish off shore - none are in clubs

as for boat ramps I dont fish with guys that use them so private ramps or any ramp make no difference

this is just me but I'm sure it goes for many other fishos as well that it's just to easy to use online media that join a club
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 am

As others have said, there isn't much reason to join a fishing club there days. If you're an active member, forums provide plenty of opportunities to meet people as well as competitions. Even if you aren't on a forum or facebook there is so much free info out there for people prepared to do a little digging that you can learn a great deal of the basics without joining any groups.

In saying that, if I lived a bit closer I'd probably join the fishing club Big Gav is in because their facilities are pretty crazy
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Fishing Competitions”