Tea Tree Snapper Comp is no longer

PJ72

Re: Tea Tree Snapper Comp is no longer

Post by PJ72 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm

rb85 wrote:From my understanding in the later years the major prizes were for random weight captures not the biggest Snapper. Nothing to gain from upsizing in respect to prizes the only thing would be glory if you wanted to catch the winning biggest weight and get your name on the honour board.
And you had to weigh in a fish to be eligible, so I don't think someone would go to the expense of paying $80+ for a fishing comp, and not weigh in a fish cause it's not big enough. One year I was standing next to a bloke that won a rod and reel combo with a 2 1/2 kg snapper, so he had a feed and won a rod, I weighed in a 3.2kg.
I will also note I have never seen any floating snapper, not saying it didn't happen, but I would hope people are smarter than this, though I am constantly proved wrong

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 pm

I saw 1 a few years back

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:19 pm

PJ72 wrote:
rb85 wrote:From my understanding in the later years the major prizes were for random weight captures not the biggest Snapper. Nothing to gain from upsizing in respect to prizes the only thing would be glory if you wanted to catch the winning biggest weight and get your name on the honour board.
And you had to weigh in a fish to be eligible, so I don't think someone would go to the expense of paying $80+ for a fishing comp, and not weigh in a fish cause it's not big enough. One year I was standing next to a bloke that won a rod and reel combo with a 2 1/2 kg snapper, so he had a feed and won a rod, I weighed in a 3.2kg.
I will also note I have never seen any floating snapper, not saying it didn't happen, but I would hope people are smarter than this, though I am constantly proved wrong
Proven wrong*

got em :thumbsup:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Yep, the old story, a mate of a mate saw the whole of the bay "a float" with throw back snapper !
Then everyone else that doesn't like comp's, and never fished it, grew the story of waste and want not !

I saw the odd one, cant lie, but overall, it was a completely exagerated, if it were true, where are all the photo's ??
Oh, we saw it, but forgot to film it, Give me a break !!
I can either take it or not, not over fussed with comp's, It was mainly for the outing with mates and having a long weekend of fishing.
But the continual, un documented, bullshite about the waste is wearing thin.......
show me a photo, or it aint true !! over all those years, no photo's, just "cause its true" Hmmm

Col

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 pm

purple5ive wrote:ive had this discussion before on another thread. but..

when a fish is upgraded the old one is already dead most times, so if you upgrade past your 4 fish then they have to be thrown out or you risk being fined.
snapper boats dont have livewells like bream boats, so fish will be dead most of the time.
how many boats would have upgraded before actually going to the weigh in??? so saying only XXX amount of fish was weighed in means jackschit when quite a few would already be floating..
My guess more floaters come from bad releases than upgrading most snapper caught in 10 meters or more are going to die due to barotrauma
unless a release weight is used and how many snapper fishos use a release weight

as for upgrading why would you let look at this, you had the same chance for a prize with any snaps over 40 cm ( min weigh in size ) and if you were going for 1st 2nd or 3rd you would need over 9 kg to place and I didn't see hundreds of them come in

I still doubt many guys upgrade as it makes little sense
PJ72 wrote: I will also note I have never seen any floating snapper, not saying it didn't happen, but I would hope people are smarter than this, though I am constantly proved wrong
in 7 tea tree comps all done in Westernport I saw 2 floaters 1 in 2010 and 1 in 2016 I netted both as they were floating buy both were still twitching and not dead dumped fish -- I put both down to poor releases and not upgrading
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 pm

When there's 2,000+ anglers on the bay just for a comp, of course A LOT more fish are going to be caught (not just snapper mind you)

I'm neither for or against the comp, but to argue a similar amount of fish are caught as any other plain old weekend is absolutely laughable.

PJ72

Post by PJ72 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Kimtown wrote:Proven wrong*

got em :thumbsup:
:o_0: damn auto correct

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey cheater,
I suppose it did happen to some degree, I mean it's unfortunate there are those that simply don't give a shite, but I agree, it would be in the extreme minority, for the majority and all of the fisho's I know, it simply wouldn't happen !.
There's always a minority in any walk of life that do the wrong thing, it's unfortunate, but a fact of life never the less.

Col

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Yep, the old story, a mate of a mate saw the whole of the bay "a float" with throw back snapper !
Then everyone else that doesn't like comp's, and never fished it, grew the story of waste and want not !

I saw the odd one, cant lie, but overall, it was a completely exagerated, if it were true, where are all the photo's ??
Oh, we saw it, but forgot to film it, Give me a break !!
I can either take it or not, not over fussed with comp's, It was mainly for the outing with mates and having a long weekend of fishing.
But the continual, un documented, bullshite about the waste is wearing thin.......
show me a photo, or it aint true !! over all those years, no photo's, just "cause its true" Hmmm

Col
You sound like a grumpy old man Col :tongue: Must be the lack of fishing with your boat high and dry for so long !!!

Pity it is finished - now we can throw out the long weekend of fishing orgy once the boat is up and running :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 am

I went to a meeting of a fishing club a few years ago, all keen to get on board. 5 geriatrics sitting around a table in a pub greeted me, one of them could not hear well, and another could barely walk. I think their club folded a few months later when one of their members departed the earth. The fishing club scene needs a rethink to make it more enticing for my and younger generations.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”