Horsham fishing comp, big day

Birdman

Horsham fishing comp, big day

Post by Birdman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Was too disorganized to fish the Horsham fishing comp so I decided to volunteer and steward a section of river. It was a busy day thanks to the coarse anglers having a big go on the carp! I must have walked 10kms for the day. Gotta say that the time passed quickly tho, everyone happy to have a chat or a sh$t stir. Some people were serious anglers, some serious drinkers, and plenty of families untangling the kids rods. Really proves the fishos are a great bunch :cheers: Winning fish for open section were 1201 and 1200gram yellas, and jnr winner with 1280gram yella, biggest carp bag was from my section, 18 fish for a total of about 13.5 kg, and heaviest carp was 4.3kg. There was a 57.5cm cod that missed qualifying by 2.5cm and a bigger one lost at the net(several witnesses). Really good day had by all...
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

sedgez900

Re: Horsham fishing comp, big day

Post by sedgez900 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

was agood day birdman but i seen a stewart throw a carp back in rirver alive when I asked he said if under 300 it gos back in I think he had it wrong

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 am

No good that sedges! The volunteer stewards are just that, volunteers, and unfortunately some lack any interest or knowledge in fishing. It's a shame that happened, but at least it's a fairly minor stuff up.

biggar

Post by biggar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Sounds like a fun day by all, i was wondering, do the fish entered get kept in a live well or do they get killed?
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Natives over legal size are id tagged and removed to a holding tank as quickly as possible, pick up personnel are on the move all the time with tubs of water in the back of utes. From there they are measured and weighed for study and prize purposes by DEPI officials and the angling club, then released at the end of the day. All undersized fish are released ASAP, and all carp are collected and disposed of, carp over 30cm count towards specific prizes. Most people I saw with natives kept them in the landing net in the river until I came to identify and record the catch, a quick phone call the saw the fish transferred straight from river to transport...the system seemed to work ok

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Sounds like every one had a good. And fishos are honestly a great bunch.

Good on you for volunteering mate

biggar

Post by biggar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Sounds like a good system! Thanks for clearing that up!
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Return to “Fishing Competitions”