Future species comp brainstorming

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Future species comp brainstorming

Post by ducky » Sun May 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Hey guys.

The first species comp is drawing to a close. Only a couple of weeks left.

I've been giving a fair bit of thought to the next one. But I wouldn't mind some feedback from those who competed this year. Or those that didn't what would convince you to compete next year.

No subject is off limits. Species list, entry fee, competition runtime, balance of species (does it have to be even fresh/salt?)

Give some feedback over the changes you'd like to see made or those you'd like to see stay.

Last but not least id like to nail down a start and finish date. Do we follow a 6 month comp length? 12 months? Less/more I'm totally easy. I'd happily go with the masses.

12 months (financial year) and 20 species would be interesting to see lol

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Future species comp brainstorming

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sun May 25, 2014 7:16 pm

I reckon for 3 months and choose the most common fish for that season/time.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

slinga

Post by slinga » Sun May 25, 2014 7:33 pm

3 months. November to January for instance. Pick 10 species.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun May 25, 2014 7:56 pm

I personally think 12 months, so you get a full season/cycle in for each species? I reckon financial year works as most species shut down for the winter, and things like squid/salmon you get a crack at the end and start.

You would also get the full snapper season in then too. I might be biased to salt as 90% of my fishing is done there.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun May 25, 2014 8:16 pm

I reckon that 12months is too long, 3-6months is ideal. either make it species specific, and schedule it round when that fish is in season, or pick 10. then a different 10 for the next round

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun May 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Alright guys. Hypothetically 3 months and 10 species. At this time of year what would they be?

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun May 25, 2014 8:57 pm

That would mean 4 comps per year. I'm happy with that if you guys are happy with that. Would mean a lot of writing on your brag mats. Haha

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sun May 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Snapper Snatcher wrote:I reckon for 3 months and choose the most common fish for that season/time.
slinga wrote:3 months. November to January for instance. Pick 10 species.
I agree, but maybe a smaller entry fee if the comp is going to be running for shorter. $5 maybe.
I like the idea of choosing species that are caught around the time of the year of the comp too.
ducky wrote:Alright guys. Hypothetically 3 months and 10 species. At this time of year what would they be?
I'd be happy for some of the species from the current comp to make a re-appearance. Salmon, squid, trout ect.

Some interesting new species could be gummies and chinook salmon. Maybe leatherjacket, trevally, garfish, even silver perch or macquarie perch for a challenge.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Trout closed season is coming up. You've got the obvious ones currently like squid. Salmon. Jews and flatties. They are all going well at the moment. Winter reds will start going soon too. I've got no idea what goes well in the fresh during winter. I dunno.

A longer comp has the ability to encompass all seasons. But will people lose interest? Maybe so? Maybe no. If it was a 1 year long comp. Big list of fish and a $20 entry. It would make the pot worth $600 if we had the same number of entrants. That buys some nice gear. Whereas 3 months and $5 is $150 to the winner. Good to get but I wouldn't have the same drive to compete lol. Not to mention you truly could be crowned the best fisho on FV by winning such a wide ranging comp

slinga

Post by slinga » Sun May 25, 2014 9:20 pm

TrevKing wrote:
Snapper Snatcher wrote:I reckon for 3 months and choose the most common fish for that season/time.
slinga wrote:3 months. November to January for instance. Pick 10 species.
I agree, but maybe a smaller entry fee if the comp is going to be running for shorter. $5 maybe.
I like the idea of choosing species that are caught around the time of the year of the comp too.
ducky wrote:Alright guys. Hypothetically 3 months and 10 species. At this time of year what would they be?
I'd be happy for some of the species from the current comp to make a re-appearance. Salmon, squid, trout ect.

Some interesting new species could be gummies and chinook salmon. Maybe leatherjacket, trevally, garfish, even silver perch or macquarie perch for a challenge.
Gummies hey...

I like the sound of that!! :hitit:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Return to “Fishing Competitions”