Future species comp brainstorming

Milk man

Re: Future species comp brainstorming

Post by Milk man » Mon May 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Brett wrote:
ducky wrote:
A longer comp has the ability to encompass all seasons. But will people lose interest? Maybe so? Maybe no. If it was a 1 year long comp. Big list of fish and a $20 entry. It would make the pot worth $600 if we had the same number of entrants. That buys some nice gear. Whereas 3 months and $5 is $150 to the winner. Good to get but I wouldn't have the same drive to compete lol. Not to mention you truly could be crowned the best fisho on FV by winning such a wide ranging comp

I think you've got the idea here(slightly stolen from another site) make it an open comp, no fresh v salt per say, just an open comp over 12 mnths. With a list of certain species.
i agree with this too.. this way there doesn't even need to be an even number of salt and fresh water species and trying to find similar sized fish from each.. just have the total length of all the species in the comp
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Just an idea, split the prize. give the winner 70% for the longest length, and have a mystery length somewhere in the middle of where you think an average might be, it will encourage everyone to take part even if you're more casual than some of us guys that get out 2-3 times a week
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Brett wrote:
ducky wrote:
A longer comp has the ability to encompass all seasons. But will people lose interest? Maybe so? Maybe no. If it was a 1 year long comp. Big list of fish and a $20 entry. It would make the pot worth $600 if we had the same number of entrants. That buys some nice gear. Whereas 3 months and $5 is $150 to the winner. Good to get but I wouldn't have the same drive to compete lol. Not to mention you truly could be crowned the best fisho on FV by winning such a wide ranging comp

I think you've got the idea here(slightly stolen from another site) make it an open comp, no fresh v salt per say, just an open comp over 12 mnths. With a list of certain species.
I believe the other site make you buy there brag mat to enter comp.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 26, 2014 6:04 pm

DougieK wrote:Just an idea, split the prize. give the winner 70% for the longest length, and have a mystery length somewhere in the middle of where you think an average might be, it will encourage everyone to take part even if you're more casual than some of us guys that get out 2-3 times a week
that sounds like an awesome idea
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 26, 2014 11:45 pm

I don't like the idea of a mystery prize. When I originally thought up this comp I had two intentions. First and foremost was to get some people on this forum out chasing a new species rather than consistently targeting the same fish. Secondly to reward those amongst us who can catch quality fish no matter where or when.

At the start of this comp I had no idea who the hell fitzy90 was. But he has caught some cracking fish. And I know now when he talks he is worth listening to. There are plenty of others too who have done well in the comp who are skilled anglers and have done well as a result. I'm sure plenty didn't realize how good an angler snapper snatcher was before this comp. I had him pegged as the winner before he caught his first fish. I'm sure there's plenty of other skilled anglers on this page who can match it with the best of this years comp. The challenge is laid down. Get out amongst it. Haha.

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 am

Well said!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 am

I agree to a point ducky, the mystery length would be good however as there are some anglers on here myself included who only get out fishing every so often and therefore cant consistently put up good catches, you compare someone like Dougie who is at uni and can drive himself around and has 2 days off through the week, to me who has no license and parents aren't really into fishing im limited to a 45 min drive from Doncaster! I think the mystery length would allow people who don't fish all the time to have a crack at winning a prize, don't make it to short so it is still a challenge but don't make it as high as fitzy's score ;)
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue May 27, 2014 8:28 am

I don't think you can make a one size fits all competition. The species comp is for people who have the time and equipment to target multiple species. That's not me, so I didn't enter.

Why don't those who prefer a different format post up am EOI post - if enough people are interested then set up a separate comp?

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am

sloth wrote:I don't think you can make a one size fits all competition. The species comp is for people who have the time and equipment to target multiple species. That's not me, so I didn't enter.

Why don't those who prefer a different format post up am EOI post - if enough people are interested then set up a separate comp?
That's a good idea sloth. If people take the initiative I'm sure they would get a few interested parties.

You definitely can't make a one size fits all comp. There's 500 or so active members here. If the comp is relevant to 10% of members it would be huge.

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 am

GTSHoon wrote:I agree to a point ducky, the mystery length would be good however as there are some anglers on here myself included who only get out fishing every so often and therefore cant consistently put up good catches, you compare someone like Dougie who is at uni and can drive himself around and has 2 days off through the week, to me who has no license and parents aren't really into fishing im limited to a 45 min drive from Doncaster! I think the mystery length would allow people who don't fish all the time to have a crack at winning a prize, don't make it to short so it is still a challenge but don't make it as high as fitzy's score ;)
Cam
The previous comp has a prize for the biggest fish. I've put the prize up out of my own gear. This could've been won equally by anyone as both carp, Jew and cod can crack the metre mark. In the next comp something like that could be added. It could be a short finned eel that takes it out. This particular prize is open to any one participating in the competition to win. If it's something you want in the next comp we can allocate a % of the prize pool to it. That's the whole point of this thread. However I don't like the idea of rewarding people for being the closest to an arbitrary length as what makes them more deserving of the suggested 30% of the prize pool over a hypothetical 5 other anglers who had a higher total. I liken it to a coaches award. Or a thanks for participating. Comps are there to be own by a deserving competitor not as a participation award. That's my own theory anyway.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”