Bait - lugworms from the beach

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Bait - lugworms from the beach

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 am

Yesterday, I was pumping yabbies and I saw a hole which seemed like burrow of a big yabby. When I pumped it out, I got a huge lugworm about 6 inches long as think as my pinky finger. It's skin was tough as leather and squirted blood-red ink. I know all marine worms can be used as baits but I haven't used lugworm. Instead of killing it so see if it will work, I put it back in the hole - no need to kill something out of curiosity.

My questions are:

1 - Is it good bait like the tube worms specially for bream or whiting?
2 - What fish should I target with lugworms?
3 - With worm that big, I cant just put it on a hook. I have to cut it but the innards will fall off. What is the best way to use worms that big?

smaller worms look like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugworm#/ ... a_2010.JPG
Last edited by Fish-cador on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

brybry

Re: Bait - lugworms from the beach

Post by brybry » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 am

Can't say I've heard of anyone using lugworm as bait in Australian waters, but I'm sure someone has.

I do know that the Brits swear by them as bait for their Cod and various flatfish.

They seem to rig them as a cocktail with a peice of something (say squid or pilchard) on the hook end to help keep it on the hook.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:13 am

Fish-cador wrote:Yesterday, I was pumping yabbies and I saw a hole which seemed like burrow of a big yabby. When I pumped it out, I got a huge lugworm about 6 inches long as think as my pinky finger. It's skin was tough as leather and squirted blood-red ink. I know all marine worms can be used as baits but I haven't used lugworm. Instead of killing it so see if it will work, I put it back in the hole - no need to kill something out of curiosity.

My questions are:

1 - Is it good bait like the tube worms specially for bream or whiting?
2 - What fish should I target with lugworms?
3 - With worm that big, I cant just put it on a hook. I have to cut it but the innards will fall off. What is the best way to use worms that big?

smaller worms look like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugworm#/ ... a_2010.JPG

I use these in warrnambool for the bream and mullet and they are dynamite, ive also caught a lot of whiting around barwon heads using these. You will loose a bit of worm if you cut it but i still just cut into lengths and it will work fine.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks fitz...

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:52 pm

In the uk I rarely went fishing without them in the bag. They throw out a lot of scent and work well anywhere there is tidal flow. Would love to get my hands on them to see how they go here.

Return to “General”