Do you read fishing books/magazines?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Do you read fishing books/magazines?

Post by Texas » Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Nope

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Mon May 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Have not bought a fishing mag for many,many years. If I'm looking for specific information I'll Google it.
I still read bits and pieces from fishing mags in doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms. It's remarkable how the same stuff gets regurgitated year in year out.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon May 27, 2019 3:49 pm

colnick wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:42 pm
Have not bought a fishing mag for many,many years. If I'm looking for specific information I'll Google it.
I still read bits and pieces from fishing mags in doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms. It's remarkable how the same stuff gets regurgitated year in year out.
Looked at an old magazine in the doctors and found an article by truedogz

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Mon May 27, 2019 4:05 pm

Anyone remember there was a fishing mag that always had a topless chick in it? I used to read all the fishing mags when I was an eager kid and that one was one of my favourites - and not for the quality of the fishing articles :rofl:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 27, 2019 4:35 pm

I remember i sent a report and a photo of myself to fishing monthly of landbased snapper. It came out again the follow year (or year after, cant remember) :rofl:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon May 27, 2019 4:52 pm

It would be 4 or 5 years since I bought a fishing magazine. As others have said a fair amount of info is rehashed. Also what I really don't like is that many authors now are sponsored by tackle companies which compromises the views they can give. Some years ago a well known fishing writer changed the lure in the mouth of a fish he had caught so he could publish a photo to keep his sponsors happy. That doesn't mean many do it but once you are sponsored it is difficult to be objective. Some publications are too close to government agencies and their spin and are loath to provide constructive criticism.

As everyone has said I pick them up and have a read at the barber etc. There is no doubt that Freshwater Fishing is a well put together publication and a credit to the effort Bill Classon has made over the years. There used to be some good publications which gave fairly up to date reports, but have disappeared. Even the old Truth fishing newspaper had good info and not just on page 2 .... ;-)

These days youtube is a great teacher - with the caveat that like magazines the producers may be sponsored. Sites like this one have a lot to offer. It is a pity that there are so many readers out there compared to people that join and post.

Like Adrian I have a fair collection of old books by Wedlick, Taggerty, etc. They are in many ways better publications than the current crop having a lot of info on the short term and seasonal behaviour of freshwater fish, reading streams, etc. Now and then I pick them up and have a read, getting more tips.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 27, 2019 5:08 pm

I haven’t bought one in ages!
Everything is on the net these days. I find I read the reports on line and as mentioned with YouTube if I need to know something just do a quick search and it’s usually there :)

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:52 pm
Also what I really don't like is that many authors now are sponsored by tackle companies which compromises the views they can give. Some years ago a well known fishing writer changed the lure in the mouth of a fish he had caught so he could publish a photo to keep his sponsors happy. That doesn't mean many do it but once you are sponsored it is difficult to be objective. Some publications are too close to government agencies and their spin and are loath to provide constructive criticism.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
True, didn't think of that. I witnessed someone did that lure swap thing and thought it was a joke but he did that so the sponsor be happy and would give more free lures.

I find getting good videos in YouTube is a bit of a pot luck. A lot of videos are only showing someone catching fish and not explaining things. The technique, lure used and how to work it, time of the month, water condition, etc. AFN's 20 mins surf fishing video taught me everything needed about surf fishing than countless videos I watched in YouTube. Gotta love Bill Classon.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon May 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 am
Seb85 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 am
I went to a tackle shop two weeks ago looking for AFN's Freshwater Magazine and they said they don't sell them anymore, not many people buy/do that anymore. I went to a news agent instead and got it.
Then a thought came to my mind (mind you I'm 34 yo), with internet and all, do fishos still read books and magz or converts to online articles/videos?

My early years in fishing, I bought few 'instructional' books along with Fishing Monthly tabloids, then into more 'knowledge' books such as entomology kinda books. I would go to Borders book shop and read on 'how the weather impacts fishing' kind of books. Last few years I've been reading 'story' type books.

So are you or were you reading books and magz? A convert to online stuff?

Here's some of my fishy books.
I have saved all of the Freshwater magazines that I have bought. Plus all the books, they are now my reference library. I had a fantastic book about trout, that I lent to someone and never got back. It cost about 110 dollars in the 1990's.

What I began to find, is that the magazines tended to rehash the stories or information, so now I only buy the occasional one.

I bought this one years ago very handy book to have around still availible online.
Attachments
TroutFishingTactics-WEB-1.jpg

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Danny De Ditto on a lot of the points made.

They are interesting to read but have waned with interesting and relevant content of recent years.

In addition:

Here in South Australia, there aren't many mags focused on SA. And once you get past the basics of "rig, bait etc" , , , , they aren't helpful other than showing the average Fisho what is unattainable to most of us , , , , in regards to locations, boat size required, expertise needed (as most reports are helped by charter style insider knowledge), and just the general "success" they have is un-achievable or at least unsustainable from an average Fisho's lifestyle.

Hence, they can almost be disheartening.

Some info or stories that are more true to life would be more appealing , , , , but that wouldn't sell lures

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “General”