2017 mercury 15 hp add regulator/rectifier

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

2017 mercury 15 hp add regulator/rectifier

Post by russellh2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 am

Need some advice in relation to upgrading my 2017 mercury 15 hp 2 stroke pull start. Does any one know if I can install a regulator/rectifier to this motor to provide 12volt output to charge my battery that powers my F'Finder / Lights / bilge pump.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: 2017 mercury 15 hp add regulator/rectifier

Post by skronkman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:12 am

If your motor has a charge coil under the flywheel (likely) then the addition of a rectifier/regulator should be fairly easy. I think mercury usually use 2 purple wires for this connection, they will be coming out from under the flywheel and either plugged together or not terminated. I’m sure mercury will sell you an expensive regulator but I’ve installed $15 units from eBay (for motorbikes I think) that worked fine. You’ll have to find the wiring diagram for the unit you buy or it is possible to use a multimeter to figure out the connections as they are pretty basic electronics on the inside. Make sure you get one that can handle the maximum current output that your coil can produce (from engine specs) probably 10 amps is enough for a 15hp.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:19 am

Something like this should work.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/283555181006? ... fDEALw_wcB

Yellow wires to the coil
Red wires to battery+ (Seperate wires ideally but not necessary if you use a decent gauge of wire)
Black wire to battery-
Grey wire not connected unless you have a tacho

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Not that simple, look up your model serial number, if your model was sold as a standard pull start it will not have any charge coils under the flywheel.

Also the flywheel may not have the correct amount of magnets to support charge coil operation.

You will very likely need charge coils / flywheel / regulator rectifier / wiring lume to suit.

I'm in the industry but don't advertise this fact for obvious reasons...
Last edited by hornet on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Found out from Local (Wodonga) Mercury Dealer that my 2017 mercury 15hp has a light coil fitted Standard. Have ordered regulator/rectifier kit to provide battery charging - Thanks to all for your advise.

Return to “General”