Sinking re-bar into a cliff

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Sinking re-bar into a cliff

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:13 pm

hornet wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:25 pm
Totalling the cost of each trip wouldn't you be better off taking a charter a few times a year in the rip chasing kings ? would it be more cost effective ? ... mind you I don't know how much each trip costs you ?.......
Not counting fishing tackle, which is definitely expensive.

Diesel to where I'm fishing.

Road Tolls.

Food.

Camping Fees where applicable.

Pair of servo sunnies every second trip cos I'm freaking hope less.

Yearly pass to NSW national parks (not applicable in VIC).

Pair of rock boots every 12 months or so.

Sunscreen and Bushmans.

Camping gear (which is a fixed cost, probs 4-500 in total, need to invest in a shelter of some kind though)

If you want to count fishing gear I probably have about 4-5k in rods reels, lines, gaffs, live bait tanks, pumps etc.

I might have forgotten something but I think that's about it.

An average trip to the Peninsula or The Bass Coast probably costs me $50-60 bucks. Half that if Cam or Carl or Adtrac are with me. A week at Greencape in NSW is approx $150 each way, $32 a night camp fees, plus food etc. JB is a bit further away.

Last year I spent 23 days including 8 nights of airbnb fishing the NSW coast from JB to Port Stephens to Hat Head, and inclusive of diesel and airbnb I think i spent $2300 or so, not counting rods reels lines etc but counting lures and terminals i bought on the way.

The vast, vast majority of the fishing I do is really not that expensive. Every once in a while an idea comes up that we might have to put a bit of money and effort into, and the adventure and sense of fulfillment from something like roping down to a ledge greatly outweighs the however much it cost me.

I have absolutely zero interest in fishing on a charter shoulder to shoulder with 9 other people. It doesn't matter how good the fishing is. As I've described in the "Rock Life" thread this about so much more to me than just catching fish I don't even care if I walk away empty handed.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Ok if I have spell it out for you blokes saying my advice will kill someone.
Let me break it down for you :-)
You WILL NOT be drilling horizontally but at an angle so coming out or falling out won’t happen unless the whole rock splits and even if you use DynaBolts, Ramset fasteners or any other anchor system you still run the risk of them shearing or coming loose due to constantly heating and cooling and the rocks may have fractures /fissures and possibly differing layers of strength from years of formation, so I’d stick with ribbed rebar personally (and yes of course it will rust and it will also almost 100% fuse with the rock due to moisture and oxidation. Go look at steel bar in a rock wall etc and you’ll see. AND of course the rust will eventually cause it to fail but it takes time ( & I’m sure smart people would check them periodically).
Just like mountain climbing and hammering in a piton into position has it’s risks, so too would this.
Rock Ledge Fishing is dangerous but we do it.
Sky diving is dangerous but we do it.
But like sky diving, boating, bike racing etc etc you ALWAYS check your gear and recheck before you use it .
Any questions fire away as I can see from the responses I took it for granted you would understand what I was referring too.
No harm in speaking to people who do masonry drilling or blokes who do core sample drilling.
Cheers
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm

FishnMiss wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:01 pm
Ok if I have spell it out for you blokes saying my advice will kill someone.
Let me break it down for you :-)
You WILL NOT be drilling horizontally but at an angle so coming out or falling out won’t happen unless the whole rock splits and even if you use DynaBolts, Ramset fasteners or any other anchor system you still run the risk of them shearing or coming loose due to constantly heating and cooling and the rocks may have fractures /fissures and possibly differing layers of strength from years of formation, so I’d stick with ribbed rebar personally (and yes of course it will rust and it will also almost 100% fuse with the rock due to moisture and oxidation. Go look at steel bar in a rock wall etc and you’ll see. AND of course the rust will eventually cause it to fail but it takes time ( & I’m sure smart people would check them periodically).
Just like mountain climbing and hammering in a piton into position has it’s risks, so too would this.
Rock Ledge Fishing is dangerous but we do it.
Sky diving is dangerous but we do it.
But like sky diving, boating, bike racing etc etc you ALWAYS check your gear and recheck before you use it .
Any questions fire away as I can see from the responses I took it for granted you would understand what I was referring too.
No harm in speaking to people who do masonry drilling or blokes who do core sample drilling.
Cheers
Yes your initial advice could. No it’s no harm talking to people who do masonary drilling I do myself from time to time.

You never specified angles etc but rebar will come loose over time if not set. Angles or not.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 pm

[/quote]

Yes your initial advice could. No it’s no harm talking to people who do masonary drilling I do myself from time to time.

You never specified angles etc but rebar will come loose over time if not set. Angles or not.
[/quote]

Of course I didn't spell it out for everyone, unfortunately I assumed people would be smart enough to figure it out, But Obviously not. :-D

I know what I would do and have done, so I'm just going to leave it there.

*DISCLAIMER * -ANY INFORMATION I PROVIDE IS MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSES OTHER THAN TO AMUSE YOURSELVES READING AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TAKE OR USE MY ADVICE OR OPINIONS TO MAKE DECISIONS THAT MAY POTENTIALLY HARM YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE

PLEASE CONSULT QUALIFIED EXPERTS BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISIONS.
Thanks
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Hmmmmmmmm

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:30 am

Dougie if you want to rock fish without all this bull you know you could just walk out on the breakwall at the warmies or Brighton. Or hit up Hampton rock groynes. You don’t even need to take a climbing harness. But like any rock fishing you should be wearing an already inflated pfd at all times. It’s the only safe way to go.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:58 am

Sound advice from Ducky there, but for anyone who isn't a total jerkstain, setting reo bar into rock is a piece of pi55.
You just need a mate with a battery operated rotary hammer drill, and a load of chemset.
Now think hard Doug, and work out which one of your mates would have said gear.?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:08 am

CarlG wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:58 am
Sound advice from Ducky there, but for anyone who isn't a total jerkstain, setting reo bar into rock is a piece of pi55.
You just need a mate with a battery operated rotary hammer drill, and a load of chemset.
Now think hard Doug, and work out which one of your mates would have said gear.?
Buggered if I know where to get one. Just checked my shed and could only find these
Attachments
F95BB7A2-CA0A-4FCF-BEBB-AA2442DC2376.jpeg

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:05 am

I really don't think the local shire is going to be happy with fisho's drilling holes in cliffs and installing reinforcement bars.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 am

hornet wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:25 pm
Totalling the cost of each trip wouldn't you be better off taking a charter a few times a year in the rip chasing kings ? would it be more cost effective ? ... mind you I don't know how much each trip costs you ?.......
Boring.. Hanging off the side of a cliff is way more fun

Return to “General”