Winter fishing clothing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3018 times

Re: Winter fishing clothing

Post by Sebb » Tue May 25, 2021 9:36 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:51 pm
I did the weekly grocery shop at Aldi after reading this thread and snow gear was on sale. I bought thermals, socks and a snowboard jacket, all choices inspired by suggestions made here.
I'm thinking to do the same.

Planning to do some night squid fishing. They'll help to bear the cold for sure.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 25, 2021 9:39 pm

I’ve been down the Aldi thermals path but they’ve got nothing on the Adrenaline thermals. They’re supposed to be for paddling but I wear them whenever.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed May 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Macpac merino thermals are pretty good when they do their monthly persian rug store style sales...

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 am

ducky wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:37 pm
Macpac merino thermals are pretty good when they do their monthly persian rug store style sales...
Yeah! I got some recently and ski pants from them.
and socks.

worked a treat on the murray
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu May 27, 2021 12:37 pm

The rivers here in Tassie are cold most of the season, so from August through to mid October its thermals, then from mid March to the end of the season it's back to the thermals.. The only time I wear a jumper throughout the season is when there's a cold Southerly blowing, most of the season it's just a shirt on top. Full length waders keep me reasonably warm most of the time, it's mainly the feet & legs that get cold from being in the river.
When I used to salt water fish through the Winter it was all thermals & jumpers back in the day, now days I don't fish through Winter.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu May 27, 2021 1:47 pm

meppstas wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:37 pm
The rivers here in Tassie are cold most of the season, so from August through to mid October its thermals, then from mid March to the end of the season it's back to the thermals.. The only time I wear a jumper throughout the season is when there's a cold Southerly blowing, most of the season it's just a shirt on top. Full length waders keep me reasonably warm most of the time, it's mainly the feet & legs that get cold from being in the river.
When I used to salt water fish through the Winter it was all thermals & jumpers back in the day, now days I don't fish through Winter.

cheers
Adrian
That is true Adrian. My hands and feet always cold.
I think the suggested hand warmers in the pockets can help.
Not as cold here in Vic compared to winter in Tas, but can get cold enough to think twice for me to do winter fishing, and yes especially with cold south wind.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:09 pm

Little review to add to this post regarding winter gear.

I picked up ALDI's softshell snow pants which were priced $49.99, and have worn them while fishing 5 nights ranging from 8C to 5C and with southely winds, which felt like 2C.

These pants are really comfortable, they are fleeced lined and water resistant up to 8,000mm. The fleece lining really helps stop the wind chill, and they're sized nicely to wear thermals or even thicker joggersunder them. They are longer as ski pants are at 34" (little long for a short fella like me), and wider to fit with gaitors over boots. Very warm pants.

I wanted something that was wind-proof focused and ALDI's more water resistant (12,000mm) ski pants were synthetically lined with a material which felt almost like a puffer jacket. It would be warmer and more breathable, but less wind resistant.

I decided not to pick up the soft shell jacket as it was only fleeced lined, and knowing the winter conditions and how exposed St Leonards pier is the fleece lining wouldn't be enough. I decided to go a 3 in 1 style jacket (8,000mm) from mountain warehouse ($90 on sale, down from $150) and so far (after 1 month), I am really happy with it. It has a full thickness removeable fleece jacket under the water resistant outershell and the size is great for me. It means I can layer, thermals, crewneck, fleece jacket, then outershell with a real snug, but not tight fit. Plenty of room to rock a neckscarf too.

Havn't really tested in anything but light rain, but I am sure I'll be caught in a pouring soon enough.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:40 pm

I have to go to Aldi !

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:40 pm
I have to go to Aldi !
They’re pretty much picked clean now, you might get lucky and find something that fits but most of the good stuff is gone.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:34 pm

It was a little nippy on the yak today when on the drift, I’m tempted to lash out and grab some Vaikobi thermals for these chilly days when the Adrenaline thermals don’t quite cut the mustard

Return to “General”