Reeling rubbish

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Reeling rubbish

Post by spudtrans » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Amen, yep hate the rubbish, my other half and I always seem to follow the pigs around too.

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes this is a pet topic of mine. On a previous occasion I mentioned that my dad & I take a couple of hessian bags and fill them up with garbage when we go for a fish which is usually up around Kyneton way. Some people don't give a toss - very disappointing.

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Its great to see I'm not the only one who gets annoyed at this.
Perhaps I should ask everyone who is annoyed as well to next time they go just pick up just one piece of the trash we see, hopefully we can make some sort of difference. and to those who leave there trash behind, please take it home with you its really not that hard.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 pm

robbo101 wrote:Its great to see I'm not the only one who gets annoyed at this.
Perhaps I should ask everyone who is annoyed as well to next time they go just pick up just one piece of the trash we see, hopefully we can make some sort of difference. and to those who leave there trash behind, please take it home with you its really not that hard.
Assuming that no one else will drop a single piece of rubbish, I'll be 1000 years old before I even make a dent if I will only pick one every trip.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Stupid thing about the rubbish beer cans, cigarettes, bait packaging seems to me not real fishermen.

Most serious anglers will have there stuff together bait gathered in a cooler box or a bucket if they catch their own bait, not getting drunk or sitting around smoking while they wait for the fish to bite there line.

Personally there is no time for all that mucking around, all I take is bait maybe a frozen bottle of water in an esky, my rods and my tackle bag, any packaging stays in the esky and it all goes home with me.

How you can concentrate on fishing half tanked is beyond me, and dangerous I have seen people do this before and they don't catch fish unless it bites them on the ass, and not thinking clearly they so all sorts of stupid ****. Shame leaving their crap behind

nafa

Post by nafa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 am

Terrific post. Drink container of choice up here in Central Victoria seems to be stubbies. I quite often take along a few beers with me as there is no harm in having a quiet beer whilst you fish as long as you take your empties home. I just wish that other people would do the same. As for cigarette butts. Being a reformed smoker who is still dying for a smoke, I used to bring a receptacle with me to put the butts in. There is nothing as relaxing as having a quiet beer and a few cigarettes whilst you are fishing particularly on a lovely Summer evening. Unfortunately some people look upon the environment as their own personal dumping ground and we are all tarnished with their brush as to the mess they leave behind.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Good thread robbo! It seems that some of the places I fish do not seem to be affected as much from what I read here. Occasionally around the channels you will see discarded fishing line etc....rubbish that you do not see until you get up close. One channel I visited yesterday however has been used as a dumping ground. Office chairs and a large bbq! (Eslop, its yours for the taking if you want. :-D ) Rubbish left behind is a bit more prevalent on some of my spots on the Goulburn.
What I do see frequently in the channels (when they are lowered) is illegal opera house nets that have been forgotten or lost. I wonder how much garbage would be in the water not visible to you guys. The worst outcome/example I have ever seen was this pic I posted here on a thread back in Jan 2012...some type of hawk strung up in a tree (Goulburn River), likely discarded fishing line being the culprit.
cheers
Jim
Attachments
hawk.JPG
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Good thread robbo! It seems that some of the places I fish do not seem to be affected as much from what I read here. Occasionally around the channels you will see discarded fishing line etc....rubbish that you do not see until you get up close. One channel I visited yesterday however has been used as a dumping ground. Office chairs and a large bbq! (Eslop, its yours for the taking if you want. :-D ) Rubbish left behind is a bit more prevalent on some of my spots on the Goulburn.
What I do see frequently in the channels (when they are lowered) is illegal opera house nets that have been forgotten or lost. I wonder how much garbage would be in the water not visible to you guys. The worst outcome/example I have ever seen was this pic I posted here on a thread back in Jan 2012...some type of hawk strung up in a tree (Goulburn River), likely discarded fishing line being the culprit.
cheers
Jim
:(

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:06 pm

its amazing what you find on the beaches in the bay after a storm. i've lost count of the plastic bags i've pulled in recently.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Always take home what I bring and then a bit more! Also teaching my kids the same ethos! Keep up the good work all, there may be no thanks for doing it, but it's good for the soul...
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Return to “General”