are fishing report true out of Warrnambool

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

are fishing report true out of Warrnambool

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 pm

hi all
im thinking of heading down to Warrnambool for 2 or 3 days fishing heading after some tuna or sharks
i have read a fishing report on here and 1 or 2 others site

not to dout what i already read but are the fishing reports true?
lots of tuna in 38 to 45 mts of water?
just checking before i head down there

are the reports true?

how far out from Warrnambool harbor are they?

what are the best coloured lures are they catching them on?

is there any other game fish there?

is there much other fish there like flat head or snapper?
or much bait fish? slimmies or yellow tail?

cheers ricki

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: are fishing report true out of Warrnambool

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 am

I'd ring the local tackle store and send TOSHUR2 a message.

Seeing that Tuna are highly migratory they may or may not still be there. :reel:

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Thu May 24, 2012 10:52 am

I've been there last season, and it was such a nice direction for fishing and all other family activities, for me warrnambool breakwater pier is the place to go to there, and it far out enough to catch some game fish like sharks and snappers with good size (if they are there for bit at the time you are fishing).
I found that the fishing reports sometimes drives the results, but all you need to know is if what fish are there, and then it is up to you to do the work I guess

arctic61314

Post by arctic61314 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Went out from Portland around this time last year chasing the tuna, roughly the same fishing grounds as Warrnambool. We called time on our charter 4 hours early since we had 16 fish around 14-16kg by mid day. You need to get out to the shelf for the tuna though, which is about 50kms. It's a looong way, especially in a swell. It's doable, but you'd want to have your sh1t together.

Good shark fishing in closer apparently. Plenty mako's in the area we were told. We asked to have a crack on the way in but they weren't set up for it - no traces on board :(

Armadyllo

Post by Armadyllo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Yeh it is true they are catching tuna in several different depths of water we caught 4 around 18Kg's in 30 metres of water about 4 to 5km offshore, I also know of fishing being caught in as little as 20 metres of water but that is more rare there are a few fish about but not as thick as they were last year at this time.

I would be fishing between port fairy and warrnambool thats where the solid reports where coming in last week but that can change very quickly.

May aswell get amongst it !! good luck

Cheers Dyll

Return to “General”