New to fishing...have a question?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Seanerb

Re: New to fishing...have a question?

Post by Seanerb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi i just wanted to ask(i'm totally new to fishing btw). Where do you go to catch trout? I tried at karkarook park the other day and ill got was a turtle, had to let it go.. what bait do you use? I used some sort of dough from rays outdoors, it seemed to fall off the hook quite easily. And i heard that u can catch calamari easily from black rock. If so is true, what hook do use and bait. Its alot of questions but im really new, where are good spots for beginner fishing? And last question is my line keeps getting caugth underneath the reel? Any thing i might be doing wrong or how do i prevent it?

Thanks all replies are greatly appreciated.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Seanerb wrote:Hi i just wanted to ask(i'm totally new to fishing btw). Where do you go to catch trout? I tried at karkarook park the other day and ill got was a turtle, had to let it go.. what bait do you use? I used some sort of dough from rays outdoors, it seemed to fall off the hook quite easily. And i heard that u can catch calamari easily from black rock. If so is true, what hook do use and bait. Its alot of questions but im really new, where are good spots for beginner fishing? And last question is my line keeps getting caugth underneath the reel? Any thing i might be doing wrong or how do i prevent it?

Firstly Listen to the advice from a the guys at the tackle store, but leave your wallet in the car.

Secondly read as much as you can. Concentrate on one species when you are starting out.

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:18 am

Seanerb wrote:Hi i just wanted to ask(i'm totally new to fishing btw). Where do you go to catch trout? I tried at karkarook park the other day and ill got was a turtle, had to let it go.. what bait do you use?
Karkarook is stocked before school holidays & will have plenty of trout. Use powerbait.
You can try most of the rivers around country vic though use natural baits like mudeye, crickets, worms.
And i heard that u can catch calamari easily from black rock. If so is true, what hook do use and bait.
You heard wrong. Use squid jigs and a lot of patience at black rock, you won't catch many there land based.
Its alot of questions but im really new, where are good spots for beginner fishing?
Depends where you live. Get the bay guide from your local tackle store as it has all the beginner spots. Seeing as you fished karkarook, try any of the piers down that way ie. frankston, mordi, sandringham, brighton
And last question is my line keeps getting caugth underneath the reel? Any thing i might be doing wrong or how do i prevent it?
When does it happen? Is your line spooled tightly or are you leaving slack line sitting around the reel?
Cast out & then wind the slack in when your sinker is resting. Set the drag so wave action doesn't pull your line out.

The_black_sheep

Post by The_black_sheep » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:39 pm

HELP!!!!

I'm very new to fishing, I bought a basic cheap rod, something to start with. (Line class 3-6, guessing the line 6-8lb?)
But I've been going to SugarLoaf reservoir in the Yarra valley as think thats my closest fishing hole (live northern burbs in melbourne) about 40 mins from home. I've gone around 5-6 times or more now, but not getting anything, I've used spinner Lures, the wobble ones (solid ones that meant to use vibration) used hooks with squidgies wrigglers (65mm) and larger ones. used basic hooks used hooks with the sinker attached to it.
When cast let the hook sink to the bottom to bring across, also had it across the top of the water. I've got hot days, over cast days and raining days. As Sugarloaf has a gate thats open 8am-7pm can't go dawn or dusk. Also as its Melbourne water reserve, you can't use live bait or burley.

How do I catch a fish? I've seen baby fish in there (one jerk redfin stole a bait and hook, didn't think the fish was big enough to bite the bait but got it and took off) and also saw a fish jump in the water.
What am I doing wrong? is there any lakes around that I can use berley or going at dusk or dawn to better my chances? Any ideas or suggestions would be great thanks!

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Mishachief wrote:stupid question time... has anyone tried , salt water bait in fresh water?? ie: prawn, whitebait, squid strips.
Ive used whitebait under a float with a reasonable amount of success even saltwater mussels have been quite good as well. :thumbsup:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:19 pm

try lilydale lake mate. you can stay in sugarloaf after the gates close. the exit opens automatically when you want to leave

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Seanerb wrote:Hi i just wanted to ask(i'm totally new to fishing btw). Where do you go to catch trout? I tried at karkarook park the other day and ill got was a turtle, had to let it go.. what bait do you use? I used some sort of dough from rays outdoors, it seemed to fall off the hook quite easily. And i heard that u can catch calamari easily from black rock. If so is true, what hook do use and bait. Its alot of questions but im really new, where are good spots for beginner fishing? And last question is my line keeps getting caugth underneath the reel? Any thing i might be doing wrong or how do i prevent it?

Like the guys have said speak to your local tackle shop or in regards to your trout query try getting a copy of this book I've attached the pic below or go onto the AFN website and checkout their range of How to books and DVD's I find them very informative and they cover a range of topics. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMAG1241_1.jpg

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Here is a pic of the Port Phillip Bay land based guide that Junior mentioned its a great book to keep with you and from memory its only $10 most tackle shops stock it and it will point you in the right direction. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMAG1242.jpg

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi all,

I was given a Shimano Catana 902 Shorespin rod and a Shimano Sedona C5000 reel for Xmas and I'm looking to set it up to have a go shore-spinning at Gunnamatta. I need to know what sort of line & leader should I get, a good knot to join them, and a few suggested lures. I've seen everything from 6lb to 20lb braid mentioned for the main line - is there some sort of general concensus?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 26, 2016 4:56 pm

I use 16lb YGK Super jigman braid on my outfit, with 26lb fluoro leader. I join them with an FG knot. Any old metal slugs will do, I use 40g Halco Outcasts because they're cheap and you can pick them up at Kmart.

I don't do as much surf spinning as some other people here but I think what I've got is pretty similar to what everyone else is running.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”