New to fishing...have a question?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
tuna tube

Re: New to fishing...have a question?

Post by tuna tube » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
Miffy & Sparkles wrote:we have seen some fishin shows chasing marlin. when they get em to the boat. does the deckhand use a pole to tag the fish. if so, are the fish monitored and how dos the fisho cut the line, somehow with the pole? it all happens so quick :dontknow
cheers
Team M & S
we will stick to the carp fishin we think :bat: :cheers:
Anyone care to help the moggies? :)
The deckie grabs the marlin by the bill and removes the hook. 2nd deckie tags the fish with the tag pole. Each tag has a unique number which matches an information card. the fish is measured and weight is estimated. Other info on the card is location, date etc.
Hope that helps
Cheers
The Tube

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:20 pm

re the marlin.. what ive seen on tv.. is they bring the marlin along side.. when its played out.. deckie grabs the beak.. someone tags it in the side near dorsal fin.. while they pull the hook... then they swim it a bit more to make sure its healthy still.. then release.

but thats what ive seen on tv... never seen it in real life.
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Here is a picture of tuna tube holding the bill of a 120kg blue marlin you can see the yellow tag near its dorsal fin.
We normally put the tag in prior to removing the hook you may only get one shot at putting the tag in depending how green the fish is, once the tag is in we remove the hook
Attachments
14239805637010.jpg
14239805637010.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 990 times

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Good pic! So if you catch a fish that is already tagged, do you get the info from that and pass it onto someone? Is it hard to read info from a tag when you are wrestling the fish? :)
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:35 pm

The tag has a number printed on it which corresponds to the number on the card you send to nsw fisheries with information like estimated weight ,location ,name of the angler ,boat , captain etc if you can read the number you can fill that on the card as well. No chance for me I would require my reading glasses. Of the 7 marlin I have been involved in the capture not one has had a previous tag in .

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Great pic indeed! Must have been great weather, The Tube looks mighty happy...and has a great ocean tan too :)
What you're s'posed to do re the tag is record the other tag's number and relay the information onto fisheries as to the length, approx weight, location, etc. Apparently the they send you out a certificate with the said information on it. (Have had mates do the same with cod).

Miffy & Sparkles

Post by Miffy & Sparkles » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 am

thanks for the help marlin members!
No matter what you done wrong, always try to make it look like the dog did it.

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 am

Baitrunner reels... for snapper/gummy/larger species... are they worth it.. or prone to packing up... and therefor best to stick with ordinary large spin reel???

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 am

another question: usualy if i have a rod rated to 30lb line.. i will put max of 27lb line on it...to give a buffer to snapping the rod... that was my theory anyway

but recently a tackle shop said i can put 60lb on it... is this wise??

he said its relative to the drag pressure of the reel, not the rods line capacity. so if reel has 15lb of drag pressure max, then it doesnt matter what strength line..
but i still dont feel comfortable accepting this theory.... for one thing if you get spooled, you no longer have any drag pressure.. your then on full line strength... so snap! goes the rod??

should i stick to my way of doing things.. or go to a 30lb line for the 30lb rod... cant seem to find anything 26/27 anyway yet.

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:01 am

Mishachief wrote:another question: usualy if i have a rod rated to 30lb line.. i will put max of 27lb line on it...to give a buffer to snapping the rod... that was my theory anyway

but recently a tackle shop said i can put 60lb on it... is this wise??

he said its relative to the drag pressure of the reel, not the rods line capacity. so if reel has 15lb of drag pressure max, then it doesnt matter what strength line..
but i still dont feel comfortable accepting this theory.... for one thing if you get spooled, you no longer have any drag pressure.. your then on full line strength... so snap! goes the rod??

should i stick to my way of doing things.. or go to a 30lb line for the 30lb rod... cant seem to find anything 26/27 anyway yet.
I have 8lb on a 6lb rod, it hasn't snapped yet.

i've had 30lb mono on a 12kg rod and i snapped it on a snapper, although it was a cheap rod, all depends.
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General”