Reports creating HOT spots

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Reports creating HOT spots

Post by DougieK » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 am

hahahahha FC.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Reports creating HOT spots

Post by sloth » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:53 am

Jim - it's the power combo of "where and with what" I don't like. It's just kind of lazy. I'm probably sounding arrogant but to be honest if people want to improve their angling they need to get away from the idea that there is a magic spot and magic lure. It's the whole give a man a fish vs teaching them to fish. If the effort is put in to learn about the target species, the estuarine environment and how the two interact there's no need for the question as you should be able to go onto new water and figure it out and get onto fish.

I'm not too fussed because if my favourite spot gets busy I just move. If anything it improves my angling as it forces me to adapt and learn rather than the same technique in the same conditions. If you're just report chasing and hitting spots based on others advice you're not helping yourself in my opinion.

Basically the only angler you need to be better than, is the angler you were yesterday. Getting spoonfed might get you fish in the short term but isn't going to help you improve. I see the hookup and landing as the easy bit - getting onto them consistently is the challenge.

I value forums for the sharing of ideas and techniques rather than reports though so I don't pay that much attention as to whether people are putting up a lot or a little. If I get a PB - or something unusual or funny happens I'll report but not run of the mill stuff.

BasicallyI like reports that talk about the how and why much more than the where - these tend to come from publications though rather than forums.

Anyway think I might be waffling so I'll shut up :)

Edit: saw jims edits and yeah spot on :)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:56 am

Pics from catches years ago reused are common.

I haven't taken pics of fish on the boat for years. Wet fingers plus touch screen doesn't work.

The only pics I have were taken by mates. Or of dead fish back on land.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am

Fish-cador wrote:good reports of flounders being caught in local beaches. This one was caught in safety beach last week. many others of the same size were caught.

Best fishing was around dawn till 7AM when water is very calm. Just wear PFD was these buggers tend to head for the deep after getting hit. This one took over 2 hours to land, by that time, the sun was already up.
Mwahahaha classic :rofl:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Jeff67

Post by Jeff67 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am

I was fishing out from Carrum last year when a conversation came over the vhf radio about how the snapper have been biting and they'd been catching big amounts of big snapper straight out from the Mornington pub in 8m from 8pm onwards, and it was a Friday night lol, maybe they were biting but I could t help think that they were sitting in the pub and seeing if a crowd gathered to fish there mark.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 am

Fc. what bait? what rig? what size sinker? what colour braid? what type of PFD hahahahhahah
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Fredfillis

Post by Fredfillis » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:21 pm

Rod Bender wrote:The people who ask the practical questions are either trying to learn or just after ideas to try wherever they fish.
That sums up pretty much why I'm here. I don't have a boat so you're not going to find me at 8m off the Mornington pub. I fish LB with my daughter who is not sure enough on the rocks to take her to any of those kind of spots. We're just the schmucks off the pier or off the beach wetting a line. Because I'm a noob I read all the reports. Helps me to learn how I should spend my limited budget on growing my tackle box and creating options when we go out. I am in a few FB groups but they are pretty feral without exception.

Related to a separate thread about costs / sponsorship etc, I'd like to see this forum become a paid membership arrangement. That could keep away some of the FB types who are just looking to take rather than share.

Just my $0.02

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Fredfillis wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:The people who ask the practical questions are either trying to learn or just after ideas to try wherever they fish.
That sums up pretty much why I'm here. I don't have a boat so you're not going to find me at 8m off the Mornington pub. I fish LB with my daughter who is not sure enough on the rocks to take her to any of those kind of spots. We're just the schmucks off the pier or off the beach wetting a line. Because I'm a noob I read all the reports. Helps me to learn how I should spend my limited budget on growing my tackle box and creating options when we go out. I am in a few FB groups but they are pretty feral without exception.

Related to a separate thread about costs / sponsorship etc, I'd like to see this forum become a paid membership arrangement. That could keep away some of the FB types who are just looking to take rather than share.

Just my $0.02
Mate we're all the same as you on this adventurous journey called Life.
Good on you for taking your daughter out. It's good to see blokes taking their kids out & teaching them the proper things to do. Spending quality time with them too & building lasting memories :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Listened to the fishing report on the radio, so headed to the hot spot, with heaps of others, only to draw a big fat donut.

Grug

Post by Grug » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:01 pm

If I can chime in, from a newbie, In my case, I have joined a countless forums over the years, only to be unable to learn tricks of the sport/hobbie etc, because unfortunately because of a few idiots, we all get treated like we are just here to steal someones spot, or ruin a secret spot. I have tried to learn how to fish in saltwater, but the lack of trust has made it almost impossible for me to learn. We dont all just want to know where your mark is, I'd happily tag along with someone to a spot with no fish, just to learn how to rig for different species, how to get pointers on what fish take what types of bait, but again lack of trust people have in people nowadays makes the few who actually want only to learn the basics, then improve themselves, and become regular contributors give up. I hear reports of big fish at so and so beach, it means nothing to me, because I don't rush there, id rather know general depths fish tend to favour, or structures etc, then go make my own reports.
Probably haven't made much sense, but hoping a few of you get where I'm coming from.
Grug

Return to “General”