Finger guards

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Finger guards

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:44 pm

ducky wrote:Been 3 times in a year... I fish a whole lot less these days. Only get a chance every few weeks.

I have found the complaints come from people that say that their hands are soft yet they wear gloves etc when doing any kind of work. Hard skin on hands is earnt. Ditch the gloves. Earn a few blisters. At absolute worst you have a sore finger/hands for a day or two after the work / session. But that pain leads to tougher hands and you are less likely to need the protection next time.
Sounds like the people at the gym who insist on wearing gloves. With bare hands you end up with callouses in a week or so and it stops being an issue.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:48 pm

4liters wrote:
ducky wrote:Been 3 times in a year... I fish a whole lot less these days. Only get a chance every few weeks.

I have found the complaints come from people that say that their hands are soft yet they wear gloves etc when doing any kind of work. Hard skin on hands is earnt. Ditch the gloves. Earn a few blisters. At absolute worst you have a sore finger/hands for a day or two after the work / session. But that pain leads to tougher hands and you are less likely to need the protection next time.
Sounds like the people at the gym who insist on wearing gloves. With bare hands you end up with callouses in a week or so and it stops being an issue.
Yep, and as soon as you start wearing gloves you sweat out the callouses so it becomes an issue every single time that you must have your gloves on you. Callouses last a long time and come pretty easily. Sore hands for a couple of days never killed anyone

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Yeah, I haven't been to the gym in a month or so (spent the money I had set aside for a membership on fishing gear instead lol) but I still have decent callouses. Don't know if the weights have hardened up the skin on my fingers too, but I haven't ever had an issue with getting cuts from casting and I use a pretty fine braid for spinning.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Plenty of tough guys here. If Steve wants to protect his hands i dont see how it affects anyone else

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Larksy88 wrote:Plenty of tough guys here. If Steve wants to protect his hands i dont see how it affects anyone else
This! :)
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Hahaha talk about going to the gym to get tough hands.
Mate.
When you have to draw water from a well with a rope and bucket ever single day to have a shower and Walk down to the public water tap and bring back water to drink and cook at home. Then you earn those hard hands...
That didn't stop after coming here either. Those who have seen me before know what my build is like. And that didn't stop me from carrying a whole pallet of beer 3 slabs at a time down 2 flights of stairs every time the new beer pallet arrived. Along with bringing back shopping trolleys (38 is my personal best) in the middle of winter without using a strap to hold them together cause the owner was a tight arse.
So yeah I know what hard work is. But there's a time and a place for everything. If you have to use a glove or a bandaid/thimble etc. Then so be it. I'd your in the camp that wants to laugh at such people. Them be my guest. Go ahead and make my day.

Easier to feel a pair of nice titties with a pair of softer hands rather than one that's hard as a rock. And I'm speaking from experience on both counts. ...

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:44 pm

haha, love that last sentence. you do realise the tongue is the most sensitive part of your body? hahaha.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:53 pm

ducky wrote:haha, love that last sentence. you do realise the tongue is the most sensitive part of your body? hahaha.
A true gentleman might have a few callouses on that too :tongue:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
Larksy88 wrote:Plenty of tough guys here. If Steve wants to protect his hands i dont see how it affects anyone else
This! :)
:-D

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:26 pm

This thread is awesome
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General”