Finger guards

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Finger guards

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:19 pm

I would laugh quite loudly at anyone casting slugs in the surf wearing one of these.

The only time one of these would be appropriate is up north on a week long trip casting poppers and stuff all day.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Not gonna get sucked into this one..
Doug bought a saltist..?
Finger thingies for surf spinning..?
I'm hearing ya Duckman...

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:26 pm

ducky wrote:I would laugh quite loudly at anyone casting slugs in the surf wearing one of these.

The only time one of these would be appropriate is up north on a week long trip casting poppers and stuff all day.
Yea that's because your hands are like barb wire because your a tradie, braid ain't going to cut yours. My hands hold a pen I gotta watch out for paper cuts let alone braid slicing my fingers.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Only ever bother with a guard for surf fishing (which is not often) and have always used ordinary insulation tape.
Tough,easy to reapply and cheap.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

ducky

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:
ducky wrote:I would laugh quite loudly at anyone casting slugs in the surf wearing one of these.

Yea that's because your hands are like barb wire because your a tradie, braid ain't going to cut yours. My hands hold a pen I gotta watch out for paper cuts let alone braid slicing my fingers.
Been off the tools for 15 months, hands are soft as these days. Still haven't had an issue

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:52 pm

DougieK wrote: ^ mish a lot of the spin guys dont' use shock leaders cos repeatedly casting a knot through guides messes with the strength.
I found I got a lot of wind knots when the leader knot had to go through more than just the end couple of guides

This is what I use for cut fingers:
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Nobody wants to fish with cut fingers. Specially when the braid has done the damage
No need to make fun of ones who take care when fishing either.
Ive used rubber thimbles before. When surf fishing. I'm a very small build person so anything that can help me I will use.

Raulfc7

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Yea I've tried cement but I find it to hard to cast so I don't use it but if you do then good for you.
I don't fish to bleed everywhere or to slice my fingers I fish for the enjoyment....who would of thought
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Raulfc7

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:28 pm

ducky wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote:

Been off the tools for 15 months, hands are soft as these days. Still haven't had an issue
Been spinning the surf heaps since then have you of course you have

ducky

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Been 3 times in a year... I fish a whole lot less these days. Only get a chance every few weeks.

I have found the complaints come from people that say that their hands are soft yet they wear gloves etc when doing any kind of work. Hard skin on hands is earnt. Ditch the gloves. Earn a few blisters. At absolute worst you have a sore finger/hands for a day or two after the work / session. But that pain leads to tougher hands and you are less likely to need the protection next time.

Return to “General”