Hawaiian slings / hand Spear / Spear gun Flounder hunting.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Marty.A

Re: Hawaiian slings / hand Spear / Spear gun Flounder hunting.

Post by Marty.A » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:28 am

Texas wrote:Like many items they are illegal to use,but, not to sell
eg-- radar detector
Oprah house nets
Cray pots
Bongs (may have changed)
There's plenty more, but, the brain won't work
Oprah house nets are a big peeve of mine, go into any "branded" tackle shop & there're for sale.
Can you use them in NSW or SA ????
I suppose that's why it pays to check the regulations, I can see a lot of people getting caught out assuming they are legal to use because they are still allowed to be sold in stores.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Texas wrote:Like many items they are illegal to use,but, not to sell
eg-- radar detector
Oprah house nets
Cray pots
Bongs (may have changed)
There's plenty more, but, the brain won't work
Oprah house nets are a big peeve of mine, go into any "branded" tackle shop & there're for sale.
Can you use them in NSW or SA ????
Thats wrong then

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Opera house net's are perfectly legal in vic,no reason they shouldnt be sold.We use them all the time IN PRIVATE WATER WAY'S AND DAM'S just like the reg's say you can.Maybe more people should read & understand the reg's about things rather than make half arsed comment's.
They are also legal in approx 2/3rd's of NSW waters.Can't be used east of the newell highway,or the murrumbidgee river upstream of the darlington point road bridge.Downstream of the echuca moama bridge,and the edward river upstream of stevens weir.Once again, read the reg's and understand them,the onus is on you as the angler to do the right thing.
No idea about SA dont fish over there,but if i did i would take the time and do the research to make sure what i was doing was legal.Not that hard to do these day's.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:00 pm

drew 2 wrote:Opera house net's are perfectly legal in vic,no reason they shouldnt be sold.We use them all the time IN PRIVATE WATER WAY'S AND DAM'S just like the reg's say you can.Maybe more people should read & understand the reg's about things rather than make half arsed comment's.
They are also legal in approx 2/3rd's of NSW waters.Can't be used east of the newell highway,or the murrumbidgee river upstream of the darlington point road bridge.Downstream of the echuca moama bridge,and the edward river upstream of stevens weir.Once again, read the reg's and understand them,the onus is on you as the angler to do the right thing.
No idea about SA dont fish over there,but if i did i would take the time and do the research to make sure what i was doing was legal.Not that hard to do these day's.

Some great points
All relates back to the regs

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm

They are not "point's" they are actually the legislated regs in both states.Hence there is legal consequences for breaking them.
As a good mate of mine say's, with over 25 years as a traffic cop in this state(vic).We will never get too far with reducing the road toll further,until we start testing the IQ of a person,to make sure they can even comprehend the laws, before letting them even sit a licence test to drive in this state.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:44 pm

I was saying points as in to follow the regs set out

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm

drew 2 wrote:They are not "point's" they are actually the legislated regs in both states.Hence there is legal consequences for breaking them.
As a good mate of mine say's, with over 25 years as a traffic cop in this state(vic).We will never get too far with reducing the road toll further,until we start testing the IQ of a person,to make sure they can even comprehend the laws, before letting them even sit a licence test to drive in this state.
The problem is when you ask a so called expert froma a tackle store for a specific item to fish in a specific place and he leads you up the garden path....
Everyone should know the rules but theres that many of them even fishing show hosts dont know.

A tackle store owner shouldnt be allowed to sell something that is illegal to use for the purpose that he has been informed of.

Opera house nets in private dams is fine. My 3 pronged soear with barbs for flounder at rye is not. I asked for a spear setup and he gave me bad advice. If i got a fine he wouldnt of got any punishment and that to me is wrong

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:56 pm

No different to the barman at the pub getting the blame for selling you that one extra beer that got you caught for driving over .05.Should he have to spend 10minutes explaining the drink driving laws to everyone he sells a beer too? No responsibility on my behalf.It was the barmans fault,he should have known i was gonna drive home and not sold me the (perfectly legal to buy beer) At some stage we all have to take responsibility for our own actions.

franksy

Post by franksy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 pm

simple answer guys....ask fisheries..... i did and they said its fine to use one whilst floundering.....i kept the reply as proof, just dont be wankers and go spearing everything thats edible

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm

drew 2 wrote:No different to the barman at the pub getting the blame for selling you that one extra beer that got you caught for driving over .05.Should he have to spend 10minutes explaining the drink driving laws to everyone he sells a beer too? No responsibility on my behalf.It was the barmans fault,he should have known i was gonna drive home and not sold me the (perfectly legal to buy beer) At some stage we all have to take responsibility for our own actions.
A spear for fish should be standard and not sold if unable to be used unless warnings are posted especially after being asked specifically.
Just like it says in a bar people wont be sold alcohol if they are intoxicated.

As for you barmans anology, did you tell him you were driving before you bought your extra pot? Maybe he thought you were getting a lift.
A bit different than asking for specific advice on a specific species of fish 100 meters across a road. The 2 are nothing alike

Return to “General”