small crabs for bait

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

small crabs for bait

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm

my turn to ask a question.

We all know that bream goes head over heels on crabs. Best bait are those as big as 10 or 20 cent coins. Where can we get a lot of them close to Melbourne? I know there are some on the river banks close to Flemington. Just lift the rocks and start grabbing them if you can find them. Unfortunately, the area is over harvested. Anywhere else can we get some for bream bait? :dontknow

Saw one guy using crabs for bait and he got stuck on tons of undersized bream one after another. I asked where he got the crabs and he told me "just walk along the yarra river and turn over rocks". He just wont spit out the coordinates. :angry:

Where I grew up, we catch them by bucket loads using fine nets baited with chook pellets.

I think Miker is the best guy for this. mikerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? :grin:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

slinga

Re: small crabs for bait

Post by slinga » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:51 am

There are shitloads of them around the Warneet and Tooradin. I dont know how useful these will be for Bream though. They are are a Black/Brown/Purpley colour.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 am

When i was a kid i used to catch a bucket load of them for fun at williamstown lol maybe you can try there?
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 pm

sunderland bay during low tide on phillip island....

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Crabs work great @ times for Bream , but be aware that taking crabs from the Yarra & Maribyrnong river banks is illegal "intertidal zone" . it carrys a $100.00 per crab fine , i have seen some blokes cop the fines . fisheries were watching them from a distance & then went over & fined them big $$ :shock:
i much prefer Bass Yabbies for bait or tube worms .

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:57 pm

I don't think we can call the "dry" bank intertidal zone when it is never under water.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Fish-cador wrote:I don't think we can call the "dry" bank intertidal zone when it is never under water.
I dont take crabs regardless , as from what the fisheries officers told me . take crabs , get fined .

Return to “General”