Ballarat LB Saltwater Fishos

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lecterfan

Ballarat LB Saltwater Fishos

Post by Lecterfan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:46 am

Gday.

I thought I'd try a thread here before resorting to a Facebook page or whatever.

I am a land based fisho (got a few years of working ahead of me before I can get my hands on a boat). I fish jetties and estuaries a bit, but my bread and butter is long rod fishing: surf/beach and rock.

I don't have a regular crew of mates that fish anymore, they've either moved away or got young kids etc etc. I'm 40, happy to share driving duties (meaning I'm also happy to have a few beers on the way home while someone else drives us home %50 of the time), happy to take my car most of the time (a falcon ute).

I fish most weather and most moons, I avoid anything over about 15-20knot winds unless it is directly offshore (relative to the beach or platform). I have a small amount of gear that I can share if you don't have anything suitable as yet. I can do some swag overnighters, but generally prefer a down and back mission due to domestic commitments, fishing about 2.5 hours either side of a tide change. I also generally take a spare garbage bag and try to leave the spot a bit tidier than when I got there, especially if it is an easily accessible rock platform. If you are embarrassed by 'greeny ****' like that then I'm not your guy. I do care about the future of recreational fishing and the welfare of all stakeholders etc.

The funny thing about the type of fishing I do is not having the company when you're actually fishing but a bit of banter on the way down and back, and perhaps a bit of motivation/competition haha. Case in point: todays weather, tide times, and change of light is pretty much perfect for a couple of spots I frequent, but those things aren't always enough to get me off my arse on my own haha.

Just wondering if anyone's out there in the Ballarat region who might be interested, or if maybe there is more than one of us and we can create a network of sorts. I have other commitments so I usually try to go once a month, preferably during the week to avoid the masses (although there are plenty of productive spots that aren't fished too hard on weekends), but try to ramp it up to once a f/n through the footy finals a.k.a snapper season.

Cheers :cheers:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Ballarat LB Saltwater Fishos

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Good luck mate, I hope you find a group of guys to fish with regularly. I moved to frankston so it was only couple of minutes to the water and I still find myself making excuses. Must be hard from Ballarat.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:03 pm

Put up a thread a few days before you're thinking of making a trip, you might not get someone from Ballarat but you'll probably find a Melbournite who'll come and wet a line with you.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for the positive responses guys - I've had one promising response via PM. Great idea to post a proposed trip thread trip-by-trip! (Being newish here I didn't want to congest the board with stuff either).

It def can be hard solo when 90 mins from the water...especially when the best water (IMHO) is closer to 120-150 mins haha ... fine with other people, but sometimes it can be a daunting mission on your own. Cheers.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:05 am

I'm always open to a trip down south but again the time factor kicks in. If you can come up with a trip that suits I will join you but as for travelling together Nagambie and Ballarat don't mix. ;-) As mentioned put up a thread and you may be surprised, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “General”