Fishing Sri Lanka

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
nooga27

Fishing Sri Lanka

Post by nooga27 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:24 am

Hey all,
Hope you're fishings going well!

Just checking if anyone has had any experience fishing in Sri Lanka and/or South India. I'm in India for one more week then Sri Lanka for a month. Looking for any areas to fish from shore, deffinately looking for charters (especially in Sri Lanka) and looking for places to purchase rods and gear.

If anyone could share there experiences and give tips or any advice or charter companies at good prices that would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck on all your fishing back home!

Nick
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Fishing Sri Lanka

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:55 am

Which part of south india mate.
I was born in south india and was there for 19 years.
Depending on where you are i could possibly help you.

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:Which part of south india mate.
I was born in south india and was there for 19 years.
Depending on where you are i could possibly help you.
Ah very nice mate, beautiful part of the world!
I'm currently in Varkala and have seen some big fish jumping in the early morning but I can only really cast from the beach here there's not much good rock access. Would love to find a boat here. Also thinking of heading to Munnar and going for some trout.

Happy to travel around if you have any recommendations!

Nick

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Ah yeah your in kerala where i was born.
I am from.kochi.
You can fish the rick walls there at the fwrry terminals
Or fish under the venduruthy bridge if you can.
Ive never fished under the bridge but they catch some good fish there.

Another place to try is boghatty island. But I'm not sure if they will let you fish there.
Mainly catfish though

Another good place to fish is vizingham harbour. Rockwall

Ive never fished any of these places just heard they are good. So be careful where you go.
I lived on bolhhatty island. And all e used to catch was catfish.

If your on fb then try this page and ask there. I only found it last week so havent checked it out properly

https://www.facebook.com/KeralaAnglingForum/

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 am

Ah yes Kochi was great, did the house boat in allepey and caught a few small catfish but nothing great.

We just found a local and are going out on a boat in the morning for mahi and butter fish fingers crossed! Will let you know.

I'll see if I can try some of the spots you mentioned too. Rockwall sounds very tempting! Do you know what species you can catch around here? I saw something big (potentially GT?) bust the surface this morning but I can't be certain! Got me excited though!

Thanks a heap for your help!

Nick

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 am

Probably Threadfin Salmon , there should be plenty around now .
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 am

Whack out a silver spoon at the school and you should be in with a shot .
tight lines mate
:)
Its a wonderful part of the world.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Hey mate, I fished a little bit in India a couple of years ago. If you're in southern Goa at all, head to Palolem. We fished a little river there with good access (you can ride right to the banks with a scooter) and caught a few jacks, plus a few other bits and pieces (couta, cod etc). In Sri Lanka, I caught the GT from a beach just north of Kirinda harbour (head to Kirinda harbour then just walk north along the beach). If you can, get a beach spinning outfit and toss some slugs - you'll clean up I reckon. The river I fished was at Gintota - you can wade across the shallow part of the river then fish from a sandbank. I only caught little trevs there, but had one sizzling run and saw a barra busting bait in the shallows so it has potential. The surf beach there is also worth a look - as the sun went down, a heap of locals started throwing big poppers from the sand with surf rods. Not sure what they catch, but I'd guess anything from GT's to mackerel to tuna. Again, if you can get some slugs, give this a go. The final spot I fished (the little rock wall where I caught trevs, reefies etc) was at the mouth of the Madu River. It was VERY fishy - definitely head there if you can. Just walk out on the rocks and throw little hard bodies (minnows, shads, stick baits, poppers) at the bommies (or if you have a heavier outfit, some lures in the 100-120mm range would work a treat). Along the south east coast lots of the beaches are amazing - if I wasn't with the family, I would have just rented a motorbike and cruised along it, fishing where I pleased. I saw some amazing places that I couldn't fish. Anyway mate, good luck!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah threadies. Jacks. And red snapper are the ones I've heard of.
Possibly gts and queenies too

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Hey all,

Thanks a heap for all the responses! Will be a massive help!

Broomstick - you've got my arm hairs vertical my man! Sri Lanka sounds incredible! Just had my tackle box brought over by a mate so I have a tonne of slugs, hard bodies, placcies and a couple of poppers. Only have a small telescopic rid though so hopefully I can pick up a surf rod in Colombo!

Thanks again! Will make sure I report here!

Return to “General”