Fishing on Phillip Island

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Fishing on Phillip Island

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 am

Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:Punch bowl rocks, Cowes/Rhyll/Newhaven/San Remo Pier's, Cleeland Bight, Woolamai Beach, Flynns Reef
are you serious man??
Adults shouldnt be fishing there let alone kids wtf is wrong with you man
the OP has specifically mentioned kids and safe spots, both will never apply to punchbowl rocks ever.

cowes pier is probably the best and safest of all the ones there.
x2....a lot of people have been washed off Punchbowl. Even on a good day a freak wave can get you if your not watching. Cowes pier for sure (can get the kids an icecream as a bribe)
Look sorry I guess kids were more durable way back when.

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:28 am

Punchbowl
I no longer fish there after a massive rogue wave on a perfect day with a perfect weather which swept away some of our gear.
But if you dare, I caught my biggest Silver Trevallies there, biggest measuring 54cm.
There have been many deaths there. More than any other rock platform.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:13 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:Punch bowl rocks, Cowes/Rhyll/Newhaven/San Remo Pier's, Cleeland Bight, Woolamai Beach, Flynns Reef
are you serious man??
the OP has specifically mentioned kids and safe spots, both will never apply to punchbowl rocks ever.

x2....a lot of people have been washed off Punchbowl. Even on a good day a freak wave can get you if your not watching. Cowes pier for sure (can get the kids an icecream as a bribe)
"Look sorry I guess kids were more durable way back when"...said the Catholic Priest

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Mattblack wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
are you serious man??

"Look sorry I guess kids were more durable way back when"...said the Catholic Priest
Wow just wow :rofl: Wonder if George Pell will say that if they ever get him back to Aus.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:11 pm

efendy wrote:Punchbowl
I no longer fish there after a massive rogue wave on a perfect day with a perfect weather which swept away some of our gear.
But if you dare, I caught my biggest Silver Trevallies there, biggest measuring 54cm.
Theres no rogue waves just rogue fisherman who do not understand swell conditions.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:21 pm

rb85 wrote:
Theres no rogue waves just rogue fisherman who do not understand swell conditions.
Apologies..That was in pretty poor taste now I look at it...but seriously though, don't take your kids to Punchbowl...it's a great spot for people that know what they are doing, but kids don't really have the attention span to keep an eye on the water.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Mattblack wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Apologies..That was in pretty poor taste now I look at it...but seriously though, don't take your kids to Punchbowl...it's a great spot for people that know what they are doing, but kids don't really have the attention span to keep an eye on the water.
All good mate your right it's not for the inexperienced but with many years observing the ocean I believe that education is best done early even with children. Theres days like we had last week that would be fine to take them there and teach them about swells, wind and tides as well as rock fishing safety.

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Punchbowel is a no no for the kids, as the others said cows is great lots or banjos and leather jackets there also newhaven pier can be good!

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 pm

rb85 wrote: Theres no rogue waves just rogue fisherman who do not understand swell conditions.
Above all, there is fishermen who recommend punchbowl as a suitable spot for kids...
Whoever reads this, my advice is unless you're an expert in reading swell conditions and predicting rogue waves please don't take your children to Punchbowl. It's not worth it.
Cheers

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 am

Seriously unless you cannot swim or read ocean conditions you will be fine.

Return to “General”