Fishing on Phillip Island

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Fishing on Phillip Island

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 am

rb85 wrote:Seriously unless you cannot swim or read ocean conditions you will be fine.
and how exactly are you going to get the kids up and down those rocky ledges.
i think you need to stop giving any more advice on this topic.
i can only imagine you dont have any kids, and if you do you should know better and maybe reconsider you role as a father.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 am

rb85 wrote:Seriously unless you cannot swim or read ocean conditions you will be fine.
images (23).jpg
images (23).jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 956 times

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 am

People have become a little soft when we were teenagers it wasn't uncommon for me and my mates to be dropped off for a few hours.

efendy

Post by efendy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 am

Seriously man, I fished punchbowl half a dozen times. It fishes great. You get biggest of everything there.
Most visits, the weather was OK. some swells but when you time the frequency of swells and their direction we will be fine - we thought. On the last visit, the weather was perfect. no swell, nothing. It's bottom of the tide. I am talking to my mate about how perfect the fishing and weather is. Bam, out of nowhere we are under water to under our knees. The ocean must have swelled at least 2 meters for this to happen as it was at the bottom of the low tide. I've been fishing for over 30 years and fished many rock platforms and I haven't seen anything like this in my life.
If it happened when it was at high tide, we would have gone in the drink. I am a good swimmer but you don't know what is going to happen when you catch the next swell back. You can easily hit your head and drown. There is nobody to bail you out as everybody is in the same situation.
You might be good at reading the ocean but this place is different. that's why there are many deaths here. The thing is I didn't know about the deaths or unpredictable nature of this place until the incident. If That's why I am bending over backwards to warn people.
I am not saying anybody not to go there. If you constantly watch the sea (which is next to impossible) or tie yourself to the anchors you can find on the platform you should be fine but people who are "soft", with no rock fishing experience or people who would want to take their kids there - a big no.
I stopped fishing there as I have a wife and kids at home waiting for me and no type of fishing is worth dying for.
This is my take on punchbowl.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 pm

@efendy,

I had almost exactly the same experience as you. It was also my last Punchbowl trip.

Mike.

efendy

Post by efendy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:30 pm

mingle wrote:@efendy,

I had almost exactly the same experience as you. It was also my last Punchbowl trip.

Mike.
Yeah, I left the place to the tough and experienced rock fishermen. It's not really worth it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:11 pm

efendy wrote:Seriously man, I fished punchbowl half a dozen times. It fishes great. You get biggest of everything there.
Most visits, the weather was OK. some swells but when you time the frequency of swells and their direction we will be fine - we thought. On the last visit, the weather was perfect. no swell, nothing. It's bottom of the tide. I am talking to my mate about how perfect the fishing and weather is. Bam, out of nowhere we are under water to under our knees. The ocean must have swelled at least 2 meters for this to happen as it was at the bottom of the low tide. I've been fishing for over 30 years and fished many rock platforms and I haven't seen anything like this in my life.
If it happened when it was at high tide, we would have gone in the drink. I am a good swimmer but you don't know what is going to happen when you catch the next swell back. You can easily hit your head and drown. There is nobody to bail you out as everybody is in the same situation.
You might be good at reading the ocean but this place is different. that's why there are many deaths here. The thing is I didn't know about the deaths or unpredictable nature of this place until the incident. If That's why I am bending over backwards to warn people.
I am not saying anybody not to go there. If you constantly watch the sea (which is next to impossible) or tie yourself to the anchors you can find on the platform you should be fine but people who are "soft", with no rock fishing experience or people who would want to take their kids there - a big no.
I stopped fishing there as I have a wife and kids at home waiting for me and no type of fishing is worth dying for.
This is my take on punchbowl.
If you don't mind me asking what did you check in detail before your expeditions to punchbowl?

People may disagree with me but there is days of kid friendly conditions it's a great education tool as well.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:55 pm

I am just here to read the comments..... The trap was set and the bait was taken.

I will fish with RB85 anytime in punchbowl provided he takes his son, nieces and nephews along with him. (*** I will bring food and watch from the car park. No mobile reception down there. Someone has to stay back and call 000.)

efendy

Post by efendy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:15 pm

rb85 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking what did you check in detail before your expeditions to punchbowl?

People may disagree with me but there is days of kid friendly conditions it's a great education tool as well.
Sure, I remember asking about it in one of the forums after hearing about it from some friends. nobody mentioned the very unpredictable nature of the place. Like any informed fisherman, I also checked any articles, discussions that are available on the internet. This was many years ago and consecutive deaths in 2011-2013 didn't happen at the time, so it wasn't on the online newspapers as much as now.
Anyway, I respectfully disagree like most. I leave it here. I think everybody got their thoughts across on punchbowl.
Cheers

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Today I learned that Peter Oberg was a rogue fisherman who didn't understand conditions.

FFS don't take your inexperienced kids to punchbowl.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General”