New to lures...

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kadmium

Re: New to lures...

Post by Kadmium » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm

hornet wrote:
Kadmium wrote:Hey mate. Graphite rod for certain and Braid too. Go into a shop and get a Catana SP rod combo with braid. Should be around the $150- $200 spooled with braid and a decent reel. Ask them to spool it as braid can't really be spooled at home. Then learn to tie an FG or Slimbeauty mono to braid knot for leader. Good to go.
"Ask them to spool it as braid can't really be spooled at home"

=> why is that ?

Basti makes a good point however I feel that Braid should be spooled very tightly on the reel to avoid digging in. If you spool it at home using a wet towel to apply tension to the braid then you risk damaging the braid (or your hand) as you do it. Yes it's 95% fine to spool it at home and there probably is no issue with it at all. However, the last thing you want is a big fish going for a run and the line digging in because the spool has collapsed due to not being properly tensiones. I do understand that after the first cast you are left with loose spooled line, however the rest of the reel is the foundation.

Also, they do it for free and it takes about 2 minutes. If you drop coin on nice braid then why not have them spool it up for you? Less to go wrong. And I need all the help I can get :tongue:

If you do it yourself at home, use a wet clean cloth. No particles or matter on the cloth which may rub or impact the braid. Stop when it warms up and maybe re wet or change spots on the cloth. Don't have the braid running through hot cloth which can also burn your fingers :)
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: New to lures...

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Best way I've found is to put the hook of a plastic coat hanger through the middle of the spool of braid, then stand on the coat hanger so the spool is pressing into the carpet as you wind it into the reel.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”