Where to catch yakkas in southern port Phillip?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Where to catch yakkas in southern port Phillip?

Post by skronkman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Hey folks. Can anyone tell me where I might get onto some yakkas when launching from sorrento. I'm all over them in WP but haven't found any down here today while on the hunt for livies before hitting the rip this arvo. Kinda getting desperate now and am about to resort to dead salmon and squid again if I have to.many thanks in advance.

skronkman

Re: Where to catch yakkas in southern port Phillip?

Post by skronkman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Well we didn't find any livies so we used fresh frozen squid and salmon without a touch in the rip today.about 10 boats out there for the end of the run out and slack. Sammy gave us hell again but this time only stealing baits and destroying rigs. Got pretty choppy once the southerly kicked in so we called it beer o'clock and went in.

I'm still keen to know of a bait collecting location that is closer to Sorento than the mussel farm. If anyone can make a suggestion I'd appreciate it. Pm me if you wanna keep it on the down low!

Cheers fellas (and ladies now).

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:30 pm

mate i'm only landbased but there was a school of them hanging around blairgowrie marina 2 weeks back. not many, but i did go home with 4.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Only ever got them at raaf.
Once I get use to me new boat, ill be launching st leonards or queenscliff.....and if find them ill let ya know where they r....

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 pm

portsea pier does well for me. mostly night time from the pier though.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm

skronkman wrote:Hey folks. Can anyone tell me where I might get onto some yakkas when launching from sorrento. I'm all over them in WP but haven't found any down here today while on the hunt for livies before hitting the rip this arvo. Kinda getting desperate now and am about to resort to dead salmon and squid again if I have to.many thanks in advance.

Yakkas are generally around portsea (not far from the pier) of you push out to the far end.. the best way I find to catch them is. Believe it or not.. a hand reel. With a small hook and a tiny piece of Pilchard. Last time I went, we caught 30 yakkas in about 45 mins. Really helped bring the kingies in. Trolling live yakkas is the way to go!
IMG_6407.JPG
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks folks. I tried the wall at the end of Blairgowrie pier for nought but it did seem fishy. Portsea pier crossed my mind too but I've only ever caught parrots and wrasse around there and I was running out of time so didn't have a crack. Will try off the end of the pier next time and the western side of it to see if any yakkas are hanging around. Cheers for the tips.

Return to “General”