fishing lake eppalock

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

fishing lake eppalock

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Hey all,
Im headding up to lake eppalock a week or 2 after easter, just wondering how the redfin situation is in there at the moment? Is it anything like purrambeat? Also ive heard that eppalock has blue green algae at the moment, does that effect reddies? being a pretty tough fish i cant imagine it having much of an effect on them but not sure.

Cheers

Brooker

Re: fishing lake eppalock

Post by Brooker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 pm

I haven't fished there for a while now but when I use to (year ish ago) was unreal for reddies and the algea I never noticed it affected them, always was on and off with the Algae! I use to go inbetween the spillway and Knowsley that side I found had heaps of reddies and was quieter!!

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Ok awesome, i drove past it a while ago and it looked empty, badly wanted to stop and look for lost lures!
Lookin forward to giving it a go, one of those places ive always said "gotta fish here oneday" been saying it for the last 10 years. Bustin to drown worms and loose some lures in there..

Cheers for the quick reply

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Staying up there this weekend, but being kayak based not real keen with the algea issue as you cant avoid contact with water.

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 pm

theres heaps of redfin getting caught my brother got 85 last weekend

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Glad to hear theres plenty of reddies around still. The elgea mustn't harm them like it would trout. Do redfin have to be killed like carp? Or is that a myth? I know there aggressive towards other fish and breed like rabbits but there the best freshwater fish to eat and without them we would mainly only get bites from carp and eels. To much water between our native fish and where im from maquary perch must be released. Lucky i love eating eels

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 pm

redfin you have a choice to keep or release.

Whats the eppalock reddies size like? traditionally they have been quite small?

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 pm

If theres heaps they will be no bigger than 15cm probably 20cm at best. I read in fishing monthly a while back that theres redfin and pygmy redfin. Can get both in the same place making it hard to tell if you have caught a small reddie or an adult pygmy reddie. Dont know how true it is but it could be that the more there are the smaller they are.

Return to “General”