Decky Referred

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Decky Referred

Post by 4liters » Tue May 16, 2017 7:26 am

Raulfc7 wrote:
ducky wrote:All I expect from a "decky" is to be easy going. Not talk utter sh*t all day long. Be able to fish and tie knots etc. essentially look after their own sh*t and not complain about "should have gone over there" and throw in roughly half of the cost of the trip or thirds if another comes. That can be in some bait or just cash or making lunch or whatever.

Eg a trip out chasing whiting near the ramp I don't expect $50 in fuel. But if that same person brought out a kilo of pippies and made a couple of sandwiches while I covered the ramp fee and the little juice we use I'd be happy. on the flip side if we went on a trip where I've driven someone 300kms and motored all day that's where I'd expect $50 or so as I'm spending $100-150 odd on the day.
Isn't that the norm? I've never been a 'decky' and i don't own a boat but i would expect this to be the done thing :)
I had assumed it was but reading some of the stories here it sounds like there are some **** blokes out there just looking for a free ride. I dunno about making sandwiches with bait smelling hands or coffee in a rocking boat but bringing a bunch of pizza rolls and some chocolate to share, something from the bait freezer and $50 for fuel seems like a pretty small price to pay for a day on the water
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 am

Some good deckies have been mentioned some people on other threads were reluctant to name and shame those who were duds refusing to chip in for a bit of fuel and bait.

Most boat owners as ducky mentioned himself don't expect much or in my case nothing if it's a short trip but it's nice to be offered.

A bad deckie experience I had and the only one was a bloke who thought he knew it all but really knew f##k all.

Altered rigs/ruined them blabbed **** and was a pain in the arse. No longer gets a Guernsey. My mates who I take out always offer to bring food etc which they don't have to and after a few trips of me refusing any fuel money etc usually throw me a slab or some cash. Good deckies.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue May 16, 2017 4:01 pm

If I launch werribee , I have yearly ramp pass.
So most the deckys that come on my boat chuck in 20 t0 40$ ( depends if go local or go miles away) n some pillys or pipis.....n can.of soft drink.

I bring squid,salmon ,mackeral for everyone to use
Lol
I find most people who have owned a boat r more then happy with this.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm

GTSHoon wrote:
ducky wrote:All I expect from a "decky" is not talk utter sh*t all day long. Be able to fish and tie knots etc.
And yet you took Doug out :tongue:
If it's any consolation I didn't put him onto any fish... haha

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Queasy wrote:
ducky wrote: On a rec boat I wouldn't expect a decky to bait hooks etc. but I tell you what. If he can make a decent coffee I'm interested.
I'd be over the moon to learn a decent coffee could be made on a rec boat?!

P.S. Rixter was a good deckie but moved up north. Even garaged me boat.
Do yourself a favour and get yourself a jet boil. I bought one recently and it's awesome.

I take out a little systema container that holds 4 disposable cups,4 sachets of Nescafé cappuccino and a little Prima sized long life milk. Makes for a pretty bloody awesome coffee compared to the alternative on a boat. When I find myself a squeeze tube of sweetened condensed milk that will replace the long life milk I reckon.

https://www.nestleprofessional.com.au/n ... g-x-20-x-5

Goony. Cbf doing a third quote.

You know you can premake a couple of sambos yeah? Haha.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I made enough sangas to last a lifetime when I was skipper of a cricket team full of useless pricks who thought a box of bbq shapes was the height of fine dining... I'll stick to the pizza rolls
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 16, 2017 5:14 pm

ducky condensed milk in tube available at coles and woolies.
As for having sandwiches and stuff while fishing, i prefer to eat something that i can out of a packet, like chocies, mueslie bars and stuff like that.
that way no bait (or gulp juice in my case) gets on the food.

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:ducky condensed milk in tube available at coles and woolies.
As for having sandwiches and stuff while fishing, i prefer to eat something that i can out of a packet, like chocies, mueslie bars and stuff like that.
Yeah you'd think that and I've bought it before. But last 3 supermarkets I've been to haven't had it. It's hardly the end of the world I'll find it eventually.

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Tue May 16, 2017 6:01 pm

3 in 1 coffee sachets (milk,sugar and coffee) :a_goodjob:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue May 16, 2017 6:07 pm

purple5ive wrote:ducky condensed milk in tube available at coles and woolies.
Nothing like a pillie covered Vegemite sanga. You soon get used to it

Return to “General”