Decky Referred

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Decky Referred

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:23 pm

MsShimano wrote:I have been a deck hand only to a few people.. Not anyone on here unfortunately, but hopefully that changes! lol
I am always on time, if not earlier. Pay my way in fuel for both car and boat. Happy to bring drinks and make sandwiches for everyone on board
Always positive and smiley
I am still learning how to reverse a trailer but happy to park the trailer while you launch the boat. Happy to pay ramp fees.
I own my own boat since Jan this year so im not that experienced but i have been on many boats including fair bit of game fishing offshore.
I am still learning how to tie knots (allbright etc) but i am happy to learn if you are happy to teach.
Pretty easy going. Those are my selling points, guess you have to see for yourself! lol
Im sure if you just look after your own gear and help out with cost and launching and just have a good smile and have a good laugh people will offer to take you out.
Just keep a eye out and people put adds up for deckies.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 am

Bayrock wrote:Sounds about the right price mate, good value and has saved me a few hundred so far not buying from the local barista
How do you heat up your milk when out on the boat? That's pretty much the main sticking point for me. Or do you just pour along black and mix in a little bit of cold milk much like most people make a cup of instant coffee?

Currently I boil the water in the jet boil. while it's boiling I mix milk and the sachets in the cup. Then pour the boiling water in and mix then drink. It's not perfect but it's pretty serviceable.

Heating water and then milk in a jetboil would be a real pita I reckon. Aswould carrying an aeropress. A jetboil and a thermos of hot water. Then again it is early in the morning and I might be overlooking something very simple.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:05 am

For ease of coffee making on board it's safe to say once you go black you never go back.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 am

ducky wrote:
Bayrock wrote:Sounds about the right price mate, good value and has saved me a few hundred so far not buying from the local barista
How do you heat up your milk when out on the boat? That's pretty much the main sticking point for me. Or do you just pour along black and mix in a little bit of cold milk much like most people make a cup of instant coffee?

Currently I boil the water in the jet boil. while it's boiling I mix milk and the sachets in the cup. Then pour the boiling water in and mix then drink. It's not perfect but it's pretty serviceable.

Heating water and then milk in a jetboil would be a real pita I reckon. Aswould carrying an aeropress. A jetboil and a thermos of hot water. Then again it is early in the morning and I might be overlooking something very simple.
Why not heat up a 500ml of milk at home and chuck it in a thermos?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 am

4liters wrote:
ducky wrote:

Why not heat up a 500ml of milk at home and chuck it in a thermos?
Cos it's a $30 cost every time.

I'd leave the milk in the thermos and find it again in 4 weeks when it's turned into a solid mass that has developed sentience. It would say g'day to me and I'd probably die of fright before binning the whole thermos making Stanley some other bastards problem.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Tue May 23, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah keeping hot milk in a thermos doesn't work well. I only have little cold milk, put that in my mug first with a little sugar, then make the coffee in the aeropress with hot water out the thermos, then pour the coffee in the cup over the milk. That's the way I like it, and leaves instant dead in the water.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 am

Pre-made 43 beans in a thermos or green cans.
Being a heavy smoker, probably precludes me from most decky jobs.
4liters won't even take me out

Chimney
Gra

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

Texas wrote:Pre-made 43 beans in a thermos or green cans.

Chimney
Gra
Dunno where you heard that, you're always welcome to swim next to the kayak
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue May 23, 2017 11:21 am

4liters wrote:
Texas wrote:Pre-made 43 beans in a thermos or green cans.

Chimney
Gra
Dunno where you heard that, you're always welcome to swim next to the kayak
Thanks Buddy

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Another important job of a deckie is the ability to Man the U But BBQ for Bacon and Eggs or a BBQ on an extended trip.

Return to “General”