Rainbow Trout Stocking??

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
TheLoneTurtle

Rainbow Trout Stocking??

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 pm

When will they stock the local lakes in Melbourne? Just wondering?

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Rainbow Trout Stocking??

Post by MickCov » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Advanced yearling rainbow trout are stocked at yarrambat lake I think before every school holidays,not sure about other lakes about though.
There are also large yellowbelly in there,have seen them caught and couldn't believe it.Caught off the Rockwall.

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm

MickCov wrote:Advanced yearling rainbow trout are stocked at yarrambat lake I think before every school holidays,not sure about other lakes about though.
There are also large yellowbelly in there,have seen them caught and couldn't believe it.Caught off the Rockwall.
Really? I never tried there thought about it though.
Cheers

MickCov

Post by MickCov » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 pm

There are lots of small reddies there also.The trout I caught was under a float in the middle of winter a few years back.The bloke who caught the yellow belly walked around the whole lake showing people. :super: Was pretty big too and caught on a stump jumper.

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 pm

MickCov wrote:There are lots of small reddies there also.The trout I caught was under a float in the middle of winter a few years back.The bloke who caught the yellow belly walked around the whole lake showing people. :super: Was pretty big too and caught on a stump jumper.
I've fished yarrambat quite a bit never seen or heard of a yella being caught there. How long ago was it?
Plenty of small reddies in there to eat.

MickCov

Post by MickCov » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 am

You probably haven't seen or heard about a yellow being caught in there because it doesn't happen very often.Doesnt matter how long you have been fishing there for if they are rarely caught

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 am

MickCov wrote:There are lots of small reddies there also.The trout I caught was under a float in the middle of winter a few years back.The bloke who caught the yellow belly walked around the whole lake showing people. :super: Was pretty big too and caught on a stump jumper.
What size stump jumper?

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 am

MickCov wrote:You probably haven't seen or heard about a yellow being caught in there because it doesn't happen very often.Doesnt matter how long you have been fishing there for if they are rarely caught
Definitely not doubting it mate, hopefully word spreads around and fisheries look at stocking a few yellas. I totally understand why trout are stocked for kids. However let's be honest the majority of the trout are caught and taken by a few greedy people.
If there's an opportunity to stock natives and it's proven that they can thrive in there why not take it, just my opinion.

MickCov

Post by MickCov » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm not sure whether it was ever stocked with yellowbelly,maybe it was at some stage in the past.
Then again somebody might have just thrown a few fingerlings in there.Any predator like that would have a heap of live fish to feed on,but it does make me wonder if it was a one off fish or is there more in there.
It was about 10 yrs back too,not sure how long they live for.

MickCov

Post by MickCov » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Not sure what size stump jumper mate

Return to “General”