New boat, What u guys think??

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: New boat, What u guys think??

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Have a 5.3mtr Quinny, love it. Cant really comment on the two as I havent been in either (ours is an older boat) but I have been caught out in some hairy weather in the bay (in the old 4.55 quinny especially) and while I wouldnt go out in it, it handled it, and I never felt unsafe. Worst was when we got caught in a 30kt notherly off mornington in the middle of the night. Slow going but got back in comfortably.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 am

Scraglor wrote:Have a 5.3mtr Quinny, love it. Cant really comment on the two as I havent been in either (ours is an older boat) but I have been caught out in some hairy weather in the bay (in the old 4.55 quinny especially) and while I wouldnt go out in it, it handled it, and I never felt unsafe. Worst was when we got caught in a 30kt notherly off mornington in the middle of the night. Slow going but got back in comfortably.
once you get through a 30kt n in the middle off the night everything else seems easy.

bm

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi guys,
Took me long enough and I finally decided to go with Quintrex 510 sea spirit....

Do u guys think I should go for 90hp mercury 4stroke or 115hp OptiMax? Any good for 115hp OptiMax?
Cheera

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Froggie wrote:Hi guys,
Took me long enough and I finally decided to go with Quintrex 510 sea spirit....

Do u guys think I should go for 90hp mercury 4stroke or 115hp OptiMax? Any good for 115hp OptiMax?
Cheera
its better to have more hp than less imo

ive had a mercury and it wasnt good.

Ive had a 60 ph yammy and it was fantastic.

ive got a 175 suzuki and its a awsome motor

somebody who has a opimax would have the best opinion.

bm

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Cheera
Nice boat congratulations, go the Optimax 115, less cost's in servicing & fuel is as efficient as a 4 stroke + better power to weight ratio.

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Cheera
Hi Froggie.

I have the current model Spirit but in the 5.3m. It has a 90 etec and I wouldn't want anything more to be honest. Plenty of response and goes quicker than I would want the hull to ever travel. I'm reasonably familiar with the 5.1 as I was originally considering it prior to ordering the 5.3. There wasn't a lot of weight difference from memory, so should be comparable.

I don't have any experience with those two motors you are considering, but if the 90 merc performs anything like the etec then it should be plenty. If you have intentions of towing a skier regularly, then the bigger motor would probably be more suitable, but if it's a fishing boat I would recomend the lighter motor.

I am very happy with the spirit in general, but if I had my time again there is two or three things that I would insist upon being rectified in the factory. Examples as follows:

1. The shear moulding (the piece that joins the hull to the deck) is only 'hit-and-miss' welded to the deck at the bow rail stanchions. This lets a lot of water into the cabin when producing a lot of spray or when raining. For the sake of a few meters more welding this could be resolved during manufacture. I sealed mine with roof grade sealant and seams fine so far, but not ideal. The windscreen also leaks like a sieve, but not sure that's so easily resolved. It may sound minor, but everything in the cabin was getting soaked regularly prior to sealing it.

2. The bilge pump is mounted in the stern which is the highest part of the bilge when the boat is in the water and therefore will not ever pump a drop of water. The keel just forward of the windscreen is the lowest part of the bilge with the blade hull and would fill with water and lift the stern even higher until it sank. Not easy to move after manufacture, so would insist in the factory.

Happy to help with any other feedback if it might be of use. There are a few other little bits and pieces that I would have ordered differently. Feel free to shoot me a PM if anything you would like to know.

Good luck with it. Good value over all.

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks a lot guys... :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:38 pm

I had a 5.2 mt quintrex with 85 yamaha with hull weight 540kg plus people and gear and on rough days when just driving slow or uoto 15 to 20knots it was good. But on good days whwn you wanted to get upon the plane fast and travel a few miles it was underpowered.
If i had the choose ill go 115.

If from memory the merc are noiser then yamaha.
Been told wouldnt want to spend the day trolling with a merc. End up with bad headache from noise and fumes.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:45 pm

smile0784 wrote:I had a 5.2 mt quintrex with 85 yamaha with hull weight 540kg plus people and gear and on rough days when just driving slow or uoto 15 to 20knots it was good. But on good days whwn you wanted to get upon the plane fast and travel a few miles it was underpowered.
If i had the choose ill go 115.

If from memory the merc are noiser then yamaha.
Been told wouldnt want to spend the day trolling with a merc. End up with bad headache from noise and fumes.
The optimaxs aren't fumey but are noisy compared to a 4 stroke. Having done many hours trolling with a carby 4 cylinder merc, the fumes are noticeable downwind but hardly over powering. The cloud of smoke when you give it a gutful as it burns off excess oil from the plugs when leaving is very noticeable.

The 90hp 4 stroke you've been offered froggie is the 2.1l block, single overhead cam that's used in the 75, 80, 90 and 115hp models. If the boat is rated to 115hp and with those 2 options I'd go the optimax. Yes they're not quiet and the optimax oil isn't exactly cheap, but they're very very responsive and it's always good to have hp up the sleeve and not stress the engine with continuous running around at wot.

If you have room to move with the budget, I'd be getting the 115hp pro xs 4 stroke with the command thrust gearbox. It's got revised mapping over the standard 115 among a couple of other tweaks and should be as responsive as the optimax, and the command thrust option allows you to run bigger props to get the absolute best out of the quinny hull. With the bonus of being super quiet like the 90hp (same engine basically)

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 pm

The 2 stroke Optimax isn't your normal 2 stroke outboard it has fuel injection & oil injection + they run quiet & are awesome outboards.

I know first hand with these two big 250hp bangers -

Return to “General”