nss7 evo3

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

nss7 evo3

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:20 pm

hi guys,
Well, would like to hear if anyone has any experience with the above, simrad nss7 evo3.
I was actually looking at a second hand Evo 2, but a new in the box Evo3 presented itself.
Hopefully someone knows a bit about them ??

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: nss7 evo3

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 pm

My mate has nss9 not sure if its a 2 or 3 he bought it about 18 months ago he has a 1kw through hull transducer it was pretty good at bermie we could mark bait fish with marlin on at 60 fathoms then watch the marlin rise to 20 fathoms to take our livie. The performace was very good.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Hey nude,
Probably the evo2 model, I think the evo3 is new out early this year.
I was pretty positive I was going to go the Furuno 588, been hearing a lot of fuss about them !
Then getting a dedicated GPS, which always was a bit of a pain, I mean if you want something with decent GPS performance etc its going to
end up combined costing more. So in looking around, scored this evo3, in the box, unit only for a steal, BUT, I'm the last person that needs to be using something to0 technical to use ! So, I'll either set this up as a combo or re sell itand go back to my original plan of the Furuno and separate gps. It looks as though I could start a 3rd world war in Somalia if I hit the wrong button on this simrad !!!!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm

My mate also has a lowrance dedicated gps which is next on his list to replace. In a head to head comparison his simrad with the airmar 1kw tx and my foruno 585 and the airmar 1kw tx. The foruno can mark individual fish at 50kph the simrad could not. His tx is a bronze version of my tx which is stainless, same specs wide angle chirp 1kw

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm no expert but I've got a evo 2.
I think the main difference between the 3 is that it has an extra network socket and possibly another transducer input socket. That's all from memory so I could be wrong.
As far as the evo 2 goes I'm pretty new really to any decent unit, I've had mine about a year. Of course I'm still learning but (like anything) once you pick up the basic screen navigation and short cut options on the screen I think it's great.
I've only got a cheapie transducer but it's working well.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:06 pm

yeah, interesting Nude, I think all the extra features are what drive people to non Furuno brands, I believe for actual fish detection Furuno has been a winner for ever, but these new ubute side scan wide scan top scan 3d etc etc, pretty impressive I must say, BUT ya goota know how to use it.
Yota, Yep extra ports and one of the biggies with the evo3 apart from technical stuff is the new screen which is completely visible with polaroid glasses and no fade out from any angle you look at it at all ( saw this on a utube clip, impressive ).
I bought it pretty damn well, and could end up using it as a stand alone GPS, but that is probably underusing it for its potential.
Still cant shake the need for The 588 ! will sit on the simrad for a while, be months away before final fit out is completed, then the motor !
I may even re sell it to fund another stand alone GPS or I may go all out and trick it up with the options as a full combo.
I think Ive got to have a first hand play with it and decide from there.
Glad your enjoying yours Yota......

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

Yota, Do you have any plans with yours to up grade along the way with all these ubute transducers, to take advantage of all the downscanning
and 3d gismo's on offer with these sounders ? They certainly can produce some good screen shots by the looks, but there's a fair few dollars in getting that. I will go see Moose and find out what basics I need, but there seems to be a myriad of options,,, all be it at a premium.
What can you get out of yours at the minute with the standard trans ?

Return to “General”