Excitement!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
TheLoneTurtle

Excitement!

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:28 am

Oh my god...
Snapper season is only like 1-2 months away :super: .
I am going shopping tomorrow and i would like to get a land based rod that can handle snapper up to 4 kg and also a good reel for casting.
Thinking about getting a 2.7 meter Shakespeare rod from Anaconda for $80. Also anybody know any good snapper rigs for the season?
Anyway so i am pretty much just getting prepared for the season ;-)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Excitement!

Post by bowl » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 am

Been a couple of thumper snapper from yarra this past week.
Google pulley rig

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 am

How good is the lead up to snapper season....I love the planning and renewed optimism.
*Never seen a 'pulley rig'....what are the advantages of it Bowl?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am

You can cast further with a pulley rig because it clips the bait down behind the sinker making it more streamlined. Handy when you have to cast into a howling westerly.

You need imp clips from busted fishing or the impact shields rigmaster recently got in, or you can buy the rigs pre-made by black magic for an exorbitant fee
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 am

Mattblack wrote:How good is the lead up to snapper season....I love the planning and renewed optimism.
Its mainly for landbased mate, you wont need it on a boat

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 am

TheLoneTurtle wrote:Oh my god...
Snapper season is only like 1-2 months away :super: .
I am going shopping tomorrow and i would like to get a land based rod that can handle snapper up to 4 kg and also a good reel for casting.
Thinking about getting a 2.7 meter Shakespeare rod from Anaconda for $80. Also anybody know any good snapper rigs for the season?
Anyway so i am pretty much just getting prepared for the season ;-)
if you want casting distance then use a 10 or 12 foot rod, not an 8 footer. and use a simple paternoster rig if you are just starting out.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mattblack wrote:How good is the lead up to snapper season....I love the planning and renewed optimism.
Might do a bit of landbased this year....seems a lot more sociable and I don't have to clean the boat!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:53 am

Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Might do a bit of landbased this year....seems a lot more sociable and I don't have to clean the boat!
Lol, you obviously haven't been to a popular spot in the peak of the season yet then...
The morning I spent at my Martha was certainly an interesting experience
"You fuckin cross over my lines I'll fuckin cut you off ****"
"Ah **** you mate I found the fish here yesterday so I can cast wherever the **** I want"
"Take some of your fuckin lines in, you don't need 4 fuckin rods"
"**** off mate, I can have have 4 rods if I want. We got the fish here yesterday, yooz ***** probably just saw the report and copied us"
And so on...

It certainly made me grateful for the kayak so I didn't have to put up with that crap on every fishing trip
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Ahahaha reminds me of the good old pier days, and also last weekend when I decided to go to Mornington Pier and fish land based for a change.
Due to the weather there was only about 5 people fishing the pier Not even a few casts in and some guy comes and fishes closer to me. (he did keep distance however)
My line goes tight and I figured must have been stuck on the bottom, and then a familiar tug. Turns out the guy was using a Big hard body and had hooked my braid.
Anyway he said he can untangle it no worries, luckily at that stage it was only his leader and my braid tangled, what ended up happening made things even worse.
I told him as soon as I started to see thigs go pear shaped, just cut your leader where it joins the braid (as it was closest to the tangle) and pull the leader through, it’s the quickest way.
But Noooooo I just bought this shimano ocea braid for $150 and im not cutting it.. guy ended up wasting a good 15mins (of prime fishing time as the sun was setting and it was getting dark) ******* around trying to untangle it, and eventually had to cut the leader and do what I was asking him to do earlier
If he did that earlier I wouldn’t have to then deal with windknots in my line and possibility of me losing my squid jig (if that was flinders, kiss that jig goodbye)

If your on here mate,try not to be a **** next time and do whats best for the situation.

Reminded me why im glad I bought a boat.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:39 pm

purple5ive wrote:Ahahaha reminds me of the good old pier days, and also last weekend when I decided to go to Mornington Pier and fish land based for a change.
Due to the weather there was only about 5 people fishing the pier Not even a few casts in and some guy comes and fishes closer to me. (he did keep distance however)
My line goes tight and I figured must have been stuck on the bottom, and then a familiar tug. Turns out the guy was using a Big hard body and had hooked my braid.
Anyway he said he can untangle it no worries, luckily at that stage it was only his leader and my braid tangled, what ended up happening made things even worse.
I told him as soon as I started to see thigs go pear shaped, just cut your leader where it joins the braid (as it was closest to the tangle) and pull the leader through, it’s the quickest way.
But Noooooo I just bought this shimano ocea braid for $150 and im not cutting it.. guy ended up wasting a good 15mins (of prime fishing time as the sun was setting and it was getting dark) ******* around trying to untangle it, and eventually had to cut the leader and do what I was asking him to do earlier
If he did that earlier I wouldn’t have to then deal with windknots in my line and possibility of me losing my squid jig (if that was flinders, kiss that jig goodbye)

If your on here mate,try not to be a d*** next time and do whats best for the situation.

Reminded me why im glad I bought a boat.
So you bought a boat so u can deal with knobs at ramp Instead lol...

Peak season in Vic can be crap land or boat at times.
Last edited by bowl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”