Redfin/Eels

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
TheLoneTurtle

Redfin/Eels

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Hey guys
So i have been interested for freshwater fishing recently and i am looking for a nice sheltered creek with redfin and eels (i dont mind what size). Just something that may protect me from wind. I live in the knox area and i am willing to drive 45 minutes max. I used to know a creek called olinda creek which used to have a lot of this stuff but people fished them out and now when i go there i can barely get a bite.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Redfin/Eels

Post by ChrisD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Yarra still produces Eels in good numbers - garden worms or a scrubby late in the day into evening will quite often produce results.
Try around Wonga Park and through to Yarra Glen.
Yarra also has redfin but you have to hunt them up.

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 pm

ChrisD wrote:Yarra still produces Eels in good numbers - garden worms or a scrubby late in the day into evening will quite often produce results.
Try around Wonga Park and through to Yarra Glen.
Yarra also has redfin but you have to hunt them up.
Cheers mate, i was thinking about yarra river but just a bit to much snags in my opinion.
Cheers :thumbsup:

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Dandenong creek is not far from you, it has a stray reddie, lots of eels & carp. You can access it off stud RD in a few places.
quid est quod eum

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 pm

ratbag wrote:Dandenong creek is not far from you, it has a stray reddie, lots of eels & carp. You can access it off stud RD in a few places.
Sounds like a decent spot ill check it out after work tomorrow :thumbsup:

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 am

Its not a creek but rowville lakes has eels in it.
My oldman caught 2 there last week just stuffing around filling in a couple of hours.

pappyy3
Has liked: 4 times

Post by pappyy3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Some pretty big eels to be caught in Jells Park.

as the others have mentioned, use worms as bait and you'l be on some in no time ;)

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Lysterfield lake has big eels, you're not supposed to fish there but they're only rules. I've seen plenty in a meter of water while kayaking. The old quarry in ferntree gully has reddies that will take a softy or spinner too. Again, I don't think you're supposed to even access this body of water but you'll find a hole in the fence pretty quick. The woori yallock creek also holds trout, blackfish and Crays. Actually, a worm on a hook in any deep hole by the bank in any creek or river in the Yarra ranges should result in a fish of some description. The Yarra out around warburton is a bit further out for you but it's pretty and holds good trout, well worth the drive.

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm

skronkman wrote:Lysterfield lake has big eels, you're not supposed to fish there but they're only rules. I've seen plenty in a meter of water while kayaking. The old quarry in ferntree gully has reddies that will take a softy or spinner too. Again, I don't think you're supposed to even access this body of water but you'll find a hole in the fence pretty quick. The woori yallock creek also holds trout, blackfish and Crays. Actually, a worm on a hook in any deep hole by the bank in any creek or river in the Yarra ranges should result in a fish of some description. The Yarra out around warburton is a bit further out for you but it's pretty and holds good trout, well worth the drive.
Cheers for the good info mate :)

Crummy Angler

Post by Crummy Angler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 am

at the right time of year, the patterson river is crawling with eel. Also, bream, mullet, aus salmon and in the freshwater section, lots and lots of carp.

Return to “General”