Barometer readings

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Barometer readings

Post by rb85 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:52 pm

barra mick wrote:
rb85 wrote:Purple I tend to fish when time allows and the weather is suitable but still keep an eye on the barometer.

Low pressure and High pressure systems that you see Jane Bunn talk about on the news relate to the barometer.

A low pressure system is associated with poor weather and the barometric pressure drops a high is typically good weather and has a higher barometer. Rising Barometers from a low to a high and a change in pressure prior to a low can be the best time to go fishing.
Does jane bunn talk ??

Ive caught most off my big snapper on a dropping barometer ...how much that counts ive got no idea

But I do know any chance I get I will go for a fish....rising or falling.

have access to nude up secret spot book sure helps.

Somehow I think much of her audience wouldn't know.
As others have mentioned the start of a change is a great time to target snapper and many other species.

Read the scienctific theory that it's due to the swim bladder. Must make sharks and squid exempt from the effects of high and low pressure systems.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 pm

rb85 wrote:
Read the scienctific theory that it's due to the swim bladder. Must make sharks and squid exempt from the effects of high and low pressure systems.
That's correct, although with squid the barometer has an effect on their food, so they may not be as active on a falling baro as they are on a rising baro.
Personally, I've found little difference and caught fish on all, rising, falling and steady. I mainly target squid and sharks though lol, so might have something to do with it.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:02 am

I just go fishing when the weather and time allows. It's good to be out there. No way I am staying home on a great day just because all the "fishing" stars aren't aligned. Seems to work, it is months since I have had a donut.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 am

re-tyred wrote:I just go fishing when the weather and time allows. It's good to be out there. No way I am staying home on a great day just because all the "fishing" stars aren't aligned. Seems to work, it is months since I have had a donut.
Same as most of us mate it's when conditions are tough that you learn new methods or refine techniques.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 am

interesting about the squid and sharks..
ill be going if the weather is good for sure, but this will be a tool to fine tune stuff

cheers

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 am

Like pretty much everyone, I'm pretty time poor due to work/family/etc so I go when I can....but if everything aligns (moon, sun, dawn, dusk, tide, barometer, flowering tea-trees, etc ,etc), I'll sacrifice some sleep, a deadline or an argument with wife without a 2nd thought.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Thought i'd re open this thread with the low barometer at the moment.

So far this season, all fish i've caught have been as the barometer starts to drop ever so slightly matched up with the last 2 hours of tide. I to would like to understand more about it all. Im heading out tomorrow thinking of bait collecting, and the idea of fishing for reds has been put off by the barometer...

peoples thoughts and personal experience?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm

With my experience and from other people's experience that i have spoken to that fish a fair bit is you will catch fish if in the right spots with the right baits most times, but..

I've found on a falling barometer the fish turn on. I think because they want to feed up before the low comes through and then will shut down until it starts to rise again.

How the fish bite on a rising barometer i think all depends on how long the barometer has been low for. If the barometer has fallen and the fish have fed up and it comes back up shortly after i think the bite will be okay but not as hot as if the barometer was low for a longer period of time.

I say fish whenever you can.. If you're not fishing, there is no chance at all of catching a fish!

Cheers, Anth

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 pm

A whole heap of my really explosive surface salmon sessions have come just on the pressure drop before a storm.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Yeah same Dougie. I've had some mad sessions during the calm before the storm

Return to “General”