Fishing journals /diaries

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Fishing journals /diaries

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Does anyone use one and regularly put in diary entries?

Been thinking for a while now to keep one on the boat and just start jotting down some things each trip while the bite is slow (let's face it, I'll have more than enough time to write down a few things lol)

What's some handy information to include? I'm thinking the obvious, location, time, tide, weather conditions, targeted species, bait, caught species etc... moon phase?

Any other specifics?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Fishing journals /diaries

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:24 pm

I've been meaning to do it for a while ....need to start updating my gps 1st (it's full of marks without explanations) Luckily phones can now tell you where and when you take photos!
There are some pretty good apps about that help with all this as well.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Just so you know, in Australia we have diaries.
Meppstas can tell you which stream he was in, what the weather was like, time of day, colour of water, temperature of the water, how fast it was flowing, where in the river he was, weight of fish, how long it took to catch the fish & how much it weighted.(I've probably missed something) & has done for over 11 years.
I only keep a diary of fish caught, the pages are blank.

Cheers Gra

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 pm

I use fishbrain and upload catches there. Automatically it gives me details about time, wind, pressure, water and air temp. It doesn't have details such as tides or moon. It's a like Facebook for anglers with fishing locations and several other info.

I usually keep a diary on my own for the days that I caught donuts. I put thinks such as tide flow, weed, access etc. But I only fish land based so I don't know how relevant is this to you having a boat.

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:11 pm

I take a screen shot from the b.o.m site with the water level and name of the stream I fished on the day. I then add a few comments about how it fished, access relative to water height, would it be better if it was a little higher or lower etc. Over the last 10 yrs I now have compiled a very good record as to what river heights are best suited to my needs. When planning a trip I log on the night before and compare the current levels of streams with my historical data. Makes picking where to fish a lot easier and helps save a lot of wasted time

Return to “General”