Fisheries Victoria officer allegedly assaults boaters

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Fisheries Victoria officer allegedly assaults boaters

Post by hornet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:15 am

http://baysidenews.com.au/2017/10/02/hu ... assaulted/

First published in the Frankston Times – 2 October 2017

PATTERSON Lakes resident Steven Taylor is appealing for witnesses after alleging he and his wife were assaulted by a Fisheries Victoria officer when they returned to the Olivers Hill, Frankston boat ramp on Friday 22 September.

Mr Taylor said the “entirely unexpected” alleged assault occurred after they returned from a boat ride to Mornington.

The alleged assault with fists, baton and capsicum spray left him with broken front teeth and facial and bodily bruising, while his wife received severe facial bruising after being “stomped on three times”.

Acting Senior Sergeant Patrick Hayes, of Frankston police, said later: “I can confirm our attendance at an incident on Friday 22 September at the Frankston jetty.

“This matter is currently being investigated and the details of all parties were obtained at the scene.”

The Victorian Fisheries Authority confirmed an “altercation” occurred but would not elaborate.

“On Friday 22 September at around 2.25pm, two fisheries officers attempted to conduct an inspection of two people at Olivers Hill boat ramp in Frankston resulting in an altercation,” the VFA said in a statement.

“Victoria Police are investigating the incident and, therefore, it is not appropriate to make any further comment.”

Mr Taylor said there was “absolutely no reason [for the attack] considering we weren’t even fishing”.

He said the two Fisheries officers in plain clothes asked, “How did you go?” when they approached him at the ramp.

“I assumed they were just fishermen and replied ‘good’,” he said. “I told them we had gone for a cruise to Mornington and back on a calm day.

“[One of the men] then stated he was from Fisheries and asked for my identification. I complied with his request and showed [it] and replied that I didn’t need a fishing licence because I was not fishing.

“He then said he and his partner would inspect my boat and car. I said, ‘Fine, go for it, there’s only cheese and crackers and a few drinks in the esky’.”

Mr Taylor said his boat had “no rods set up, no tackle box, no bait – no signs of any fishing whatsoever”.

Tensions escalated after Mr Taylor got a “tad mouthy” and challenged the officer’s right to inspect his boating safety gear rather than his fishing gear.

“He got offended by my reply and went to spray me with his capsicum spray,” he said.

“I went to jump in the car and wind up the window when he hit me numerous times to the face and chest area [while] trying to grab the car keys.

“I was being pounded, with blood everywhere, and lost my front teeth.”

Mr Taylor’s wife Shauna Martin screamed at the other fisheries officer to stop the alleged attack.

“She ran around to stop him [and] he punched her to ground and then stomped her head three times.

“Eventually he stopped after his partner shouted: ‘Stop, stop, you’ll kill her’.

“It’s a low act to assault anyone, let alone a defenceless woman and especially without any reason – regardless of a little lip.

“He had no right to use violence.”

Mr Taylor, who said he had previous criminal convictions, the “most recent 13 years ago”, confirmed he was seeking legal advice.

He is urging witnesses to come forward – especially those who he thinks may have filmed the incident.

“There were about 150 people in the car park that day,” he said.

First published in the Frankston Times – 2 October 2017
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Fisheries Victoria officer assaults boaters

Post by scott__henning » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I doubt a fisheries officer would randomly assault someone. Definitely only hearing part of that story

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am

sounds highly unreasonable unless the officer was drunk or druggie.. i would just wait for another version of the story from the officer side..

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

Saw this on the news the other day and thought something didn't sound quit right about it - will be reserving my judgement till we hear the whole story

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 am

I wasn't there, so I cant comment. Sounds very bad, even if partly true.

Violence to that extent is not necessary in any fishing/boating matter.
All officers are trained to apprehend you without causing severe bodily damage.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 am

Bloody hell...that'll teach them for taking a boat out and not going fishing.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (233.71 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Where does fisheries officers duties start and finish? Do they have the right to inspect safety equipment?

Really hope this is bullcrap.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Saw this on facey, very skeptical.
The only fisheries blokes I've met have been top notch.

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pm

I look forward to hearing the truth, my highly doubt the story but you never know, might have snapped when another "over entitled p****" mouthed off. I had a bloke in a very flash merc threaten to "knock me the fu#% out" when simply asking him to follow our business rules like everyone else. I too had to hold back my anger but I had plenty of things in mind at the time. Sometimes people snap...

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

If in fact one party has got broken teeth, smashed face and a wife with that scar on her face after being stomped on, i think its safe to assume that excessive force was used..
Az.

Return to “General”