Wpb or ppb for squid and whiting - Now with PPB report

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Wpb or ppb for squid and whiting - Now with PPB report

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Ok.
So attempting to venture out into ppb sorrento /mud island areas or tyabb / quail bank in search of some squid / whiting.first thing tommorow..

Never fished either areas in my boat so a quick few questions.

Does the current run hard in both these places. And will i need heavy sinkers ???

25lt fuel tank on a 50hp 2 stroke so will mud island be a safe run.. i dont want to end up in the rip hahahah.
Safety is main priority so if i have to stick to the shore areas then so be it....

Not after snapper but any other fish that can be caught in the area will be considered....

Thaks lads...
Last edited by purple5ive on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Wpb or ppb for squid and whiting

Post by frozenpod » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Either will be good. I would go WPB but itnis a coin toss.

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Western port has mild-strong current and PPB has little to no current. PPB has very clear water and western port is just straight up mud water. The way I gather it is PPB is good for lure/soft plastics and western port is just bait mostly. Squid is in both fairly even. About 3.5 for western port and 2ish for PPB. For whiting I've caught mine in western port and don't know how it compares to PPB.
Also with western port you do need to go far for gummy shark. They can be caught just about anywhere within 1m deep water

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:28 pm

At most it's 15km to mud island from sorrento/rye. Plenty of fuel in the tank. In theory you've got a working range of 50km allowing for some in reserve. A little 5l Jerry can can increase the safety margin if need be.

But WP is fishing better for squid/whiting than the east side of ppb. Both areas run hard at times so no difference there.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks guys,
will make a call later in the night.
atm westerport has lighter winds till 2pm, PPb only till 11am so that could be a deciding factor

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Beach launch flinders..

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Toady king wrote:Western port has mild-strong current and PPB has little to no current. PPB has very clear water and western port is just straight up mud water. The way I gather it is PPB is good for lure/soft plastics and western port is just bait mostly. Squid is in both fairly even. About 3.5 for western port and 2ish for PPB. For whiting I've caught mine in western port and don't know how it compares to PPB.
Also with western port you do need to go far for gummy shark. They can be caught just about anywhere within 1m deep water
No disrespect meant, but you've never fished southern ppb have you.?
The tide rips through Sorrento and P.ortsea, anyone who says there's no current is having a laugh

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Cheers lads..
im aware to a certain extent fishing landbased on the piers there that it has a fair bit of pull.
i will keep this in mind when fishing there. at this stage have decided to Fish PPB. will be a good test of the trolling motor hahaha
Luckily i also checked the battreies, main battery flat........ its charging atm. so hopefully all good in the morning
How does the battery just go flat though, its been fine so long, boat hasn't been used in a month though, but didn't think that was long enough to drain it completely.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:40 am

Did you leave the key on?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:37 am

Nah man, its charging atm. i checked the water, and the indicator on the battery was saying low, so ive topped up..

Return to “General”