The barometer

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

The barometer

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 pm

How much do you go off the rising barometer in a fishing sense? Is it a legit measurement for fish feeding or do you think it might be a slight old wives tail, like easterly winds fish don't feed or full moon are better for for gummies etc.

azkay

Re: The barometer

Post by azkay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:46 pm

I think its like anything else, a bit of an accumulative effect with personal experiences. I for one, have done a lot better in W and SW winds on rising barometer with species like Snapper, water temperature being another really important factor. However, haven't seen much difference when fishing for species like Salmon. Nearly all jewies i've caught have been on calm water, slack tide and most gummies around a full moon, including the last decent one i caught, 1 day before.. That's why fishing logs are such a good idea, they can give an indication of what works best for the species you target and the places/times of the year you target them.. Its just one thing but i think they all play a role and add up, barometer, water temperature, season, wind, moon cycle, etc..
Az.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:06 pm

wasnt there an app that was floating around that did all this for you, all you had to do was take a pic and it records everything as a diary

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

I been told the higher the borometer change the more active fish are.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 am

It depends on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. Different species and locations will be affected differently by baro readings. For example, surface lures for cod seem to work well just as the pressure is dropping into a storm. Same for spinning salmon off a surf beach. A whole heap of the really explosive Gunnamatta sessions have been as the wind shifts and the rain hits on the pressure drop of a storm front.

To make a universal statement about barometric pressure and fish activity is probably not going into sufficient detail to answer the question.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General”