Live bait tank tips

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Hosery

Live bait tank tips

Post by Hosery » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi all just in the process of putting a bait tank in my boat. I had a quick search here but didn't find much. If I've missed anything point me in the right direction.

I'm glassing it into an existing seat. Mostly interested in wondering how you pick up water when underway. I've seen on eBay a 10mm alloy pipe bent at 90 degrees for the job. Would 10mm be large enough?
Interested in any tips you may have for a bait tank. Cheers

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Live bait tank tips

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm

10 mm should do
How far does the water travel fro. Pick up point to the tank?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 pm

My boat has a through hull pick up then a shut off ,pipe to the pump then to the tank. I think it depends on the type of pump you are using.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 pm

smile0784 wrote:10 mm should do
How far does the water travel fro. Pick up point to the tank?
Without measuring how far I'd guess 800mm max. Tank will be right at the back of the boat. So from bottom of transom straight up and around a little.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Nude up wrote:My boat has a through hull pick up then a shut off ,pipe to the pump then to the tank. I think it depends on the type of pump you are using.
If I read that correctly your pick up is plumbed into your bilge pump? I was just guessing I'd need to run two lots of pipe work going in to the tank.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Nude up wrote:My boat has a through hull pick up then a shut off ,pipe to the pump then to the tank. I think it depends on the type of pump you are using.
This. stainless through hull scoop skin fitting about 30cm from the rear of the boat so it's always in water (unless airborne) to a short pipe, connected to ball valve tap, another short pipe to a dedicated pump that's not a bilge pump, another bit of pipework to the tank. Exit from tank is merely an overflow pipe into the engine bay.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:32 am

Hosery wrote:
If I read that correctly your pick up is plumbed into your bilge pump? I was just guessing I'd need to run two lots of pipe work going in to the tank.
No my bilge pump is seperate. My bait tank has a dedicated pump similar to a wash down pump it doesn’t need to be immersed in water like a bilge pump

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Im sure there was a thread on this a while back. discussing best shapes for live bait tanks and pumps and fittings.. i cant seem to find it though.

I use this threw the hull. Underway it pretty much doubles the pressure. My live bait tank and deck wash both run off the same pump.

Anth
Attachments
DSCN0224.JPG
DSCN0224.JPG (71.26 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm

That looks pretty robust. My boat has more pumps than anything else bait tank pump,deck wash pump.fresh water pump and bilge pump. I don’t use the fresh water pump or tank and am thinking of using it to run my slimey tubes instead of using the deck wash hose

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Out of interest how do you find the slimey tubes?

Return to “General”