Info Needed

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Info Needed

Post by KeenAds » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi all,

Was visiting a friend this afternoon and he had an old fishing diary that belonged to his late grand father. We were going through it and reading some of the notes entered and maps drawn in. Most of the entries appear from the mid 80s till early 90s and relate mostly to port phillip bay.

I know this is a long shot but was wondering if anyone can help locate a spot this diary makes reference too. In the diary there are several entries that relate to some sort of marker or bouy called the White Light (not sure if this was the real name) but I do recall my grandfather talking about this too. The position of this marker looks like it was somewhere near Point Cook or Altona way as it also mentions the Dumb Joe bouy which is now a cardinal marker.

Like I said its a long shot but maybe some of our older fishos could help me. There was obviously no gps back in those days so its all hand written notes and maps with aporox distances I have no idea how they worked out.

Happy to receive pm if you want to keep this to yourself.
thanks

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Info Needed

Post by Texas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 am

Try-- Kororoit Creek Angling Club -- 93977881
Or -- Williamstown & Newport Angling Club -- 93921174
Or -- Vancouver Bait supply -- 93971128
East Brunswick Angling club is also on Kororoit Creek

Gra

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks, I will give them a call or pop in when in the area.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Gellibrand Cardinal marker at the site of the old gellibrand pile light maybe?? Foundations remain to provide a small reef structure. It was gone by that era but the name may have lingered

What does it say about the mark?

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 pm

laneends wrote:Gellibrand Cardinal marker at the site of the old gellibrand pile light maybe?? Foundations remain to provide a small reef structure. It was gone by that era but the name may have lingered

What does it say about the mark?
It doesn't say anything specific. Like my original post said there was no gps back then so it just says things like 150m north of white light or between the white light and trees which really makes no sense. I know in the old days they used to line up land marks to get there spots so it looks like this was a way of documenting it for future reference.

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Have not had much luck with getting the info I was after but I have another question to ask. Does anybody know the gps coordinates for the blinker shown in the map bellow.
Attachments
20171109_130839.jpg

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:50 pm

KeenAds wrote:Have not had much luck with getting the info I was after but I have another question to ask. Does anybody know the gps coordinates for the blinker shown in the map bellow.
Try typing in 'Port Phillip Bay' into google maps...put you mouse over where you want a gps reading and right mouse click...then in the options that come up select 'what's here?'....the gps coordinates will come up at the bottom of the map.

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Mattblack wrote:
KeenAds wrote:Have not had much luck with getting the info I was after but I have another question to ask. Does anybody know the gps coordinates for the blinker shown in the map bellow.
Try typing in 'Port Phillip Bay' into google maps...put you mouse over where you want a gps reading and right mouse click...then in the options that come up select 'what's here?'....the gps coordinates will come up at the bottom of the map.
I have allready looked into that but the problem is that there is nothing there its an old bouy or marker that was removed so by doing this its really taking a wild guess with Google maps.

Return to “General”